Car stays on when key is removed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Casiokorg

Reaction score
Hi. My 1999 landrover discovery has this weird issue it does every now and then. Sometimes when I take the key out, the car stays on. It stays on until I take my foot off the brake. Has anyone else experienced this? Also the other day at a red light it just turned off on its own. Maybe these issues are connected?

mark D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
car stays on when key is removed

Sounds like your ignition switch is cross connecting (going out) I had the same problem with another vehicle.
How many keys and cute little fobs do you have hanging on the key ring. Some times the weight of a heavy set of keys wears out the ignition switch. I was scolded by a dealer for having about 12 keys on a ring when I had to replace my ignition. Bouncing around in a vehicle stresses parts that aren't designed for the weight.
Also the ignition area is rather restrictive and a set of keys that are not easily removed can hang up and cause undue stress as you are pushing in turning and removing the keys from the ignition.

Try wiggling the keys around and see if you can duplicate the problem.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635