Carpet Removal

• Thread starter ParrotheadinALB
  • Start date

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

P

ParrotheadinALB

Hello all....

Long time lurker, first time poster. Took the truck out in the mud the other day, and now I'm cleaning up from my fun. I learned the hard way that if you are going to let the wheels spin in mud, roll the windows up. Since it was the hard way, I now have more mud in the truck then on the truck.

My thinking was that I would pull the carpets out and give them a good hosing, or run the carpet cleaner over them.

The questions is, how the hell do you get the front carpets out, I've pulled the seats and the center console, but the carpet runs under the outlets for the rear floor vents. Its seems to be one peice for the left and right sides.

Help me before I decide to turn that one peice into two and never get it back in right.

Thanks in advance for your help. You guys have already saved me huge amounts of time and money witrh other problems.

Jason

BTW.. its a 95 Disco

D

discomike

Jason,
You're biting off more than you should. Why not go to a do it yourself car wash and clean the carpets, get them good and wet and use a shop vac, anything but pull them out.
Mike J.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Jason: If I recall correctly you should have to remove the console ..It might be better just do as Mike says and try to clean them first. The console is a real bugger to remove/install. And also you might have to remove the seats--on my 1998 D1 there are screws on the seats (where they screw into the floor board) that the carpet comes under.
I almost forgot Welcome !!!!
Melissa

P

ParrotheadinALB

Guys thanks for the replies... That's pretty much what the wife said, and I'll have to bite the bullet and tell her that she was right.

Melissa you weren't kidding the console was a pain in the a$$ to remove, but its off. The seats came out with no problem, I've pulled them out previously to to the extra leg roon mod that I found on discoweb.

Discovered a new problem when I pulled the drivers seat. Under the carpet and sound proofing there was quite a bit of water. It appers that it has been there for a while as I now have more rust inside the truck then outside (I need to remind her that the mud and rust belongs on the outside). So now I really need to pull the carpets out to cflean that mess. I should know by now to leave well enough alone. Every time I get near my truck with a socket rench I usually find a hell of a lot more to do then I was anticipating.

As far as the water ( I know its water cause I used the Roverchic taste method :argh: ) it appears to be coming from underneat the truck. I'll have to check that all the holes down there are really sealed. It's defonatly not coming from the top as the carpet is nice and dry.

I have the rave CD's but it does not mention the carpet removal, except for the fact that it should take 4.something hours to "renew" the carpet. Well I guess that should be at least a 6 pack. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, has anyone replaced the door seals with anything besides the origional equipment? Just got a quote from the stealer and ouch that's expensive.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RE: The carpet -- pull it all out and Line-X or Herculiner the interior. No more rust, no more wet/stinky carpet.

All the charm of a farm truck :biggrin:

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ParrotheadinALB said:
I should know by now to leave well enough alone. Every time I get near my truck with a socket rench I usually find a hell of a lot more to do then I was anticipating.

LOL, me too! Just think of it as getting to know your truck better. :biggrin: As far as the water, have you thought about checking your a/c drain plugs? Usually end up with wet carpet but it might be worth checking.

Last edited:
P

ParrotheadinALB

Monty, That was what I was thinking, but I very rarely run the A/C, and the carpets are wet from under the sound proofing and dry on top.

Moose, I was actually thinking of replacing the origional soundproofing with something like that then finding a way to attatch (velcro) the carpet to that. That way I can keep the carpets in untill I hit the trail, then like magic can rip the carpet out and have a "spray Out" interior.

C

campbell

You may be able to do some sort of snap-in carpet like in boats. LineX with snap-in carpet... How cool would that be?!? :cool:

markthecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At least you've just got a little rust and mud and not projectile baby puke!