Removing rear seat headrests?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to stow a lithium battery pack and the perfect spot would be right under the headrest illustrated below. Its a pack of 4 of the cells pictured EVE LF280K 3.2V LiFePO4. I pulled on the headrest and it has a stop in there. On my last car they came out. On the LR4, can they be removed?

yjxj8Wz.jpg

image_2021_12_14T01_38_13_341Z_700x.png

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's an additional hidden button on the plastic trim that surrounds the headrest posts. It's not the same button you use to raise or lower the headrests.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried pressing it, maybe I need to use a screw driver to push it in further. I didn't want to break it since it is a fragile plastic piece.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
Agreed, they have push in buttons on both posts, quite stiff. You need to push both in at the same time and then lever the headrest upwards, it can be a trick...
I have removed my rear seat headrests for better visibility, they are stored in the way back in case I have passengers.

I have seen way too many containers, even thick walled containers, fail and leak.
For that reason I have all my fluids, double bagged in zipper bags, then stored in a cooler, with a secured bottom drain plug, and the cooler secured up against the rear seats with bungie cords.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to give the headrests another go. I've had my carpet soaked many times from leaky water jugs in my last car. Apparently there were no electronics on the floor in that area. So far my gas cans have held up fine. I'd like to stow all of them on a roof rack but that puts the weight up high. My concern with that is it can be a tipping point in an accident avoidance maneuver on the freeway or wherever. If I start to get courageous off-camber while in 4lo the weight up high will be a problem.

I'm going to carry 18 gallons of water in 3 Wavian plastic cans, 2 5 gallon gas cans, white fuel and diesel for a heater. There were some really nice stainless water cans someone on a G Wagon forum bought and there were $250 each. The thing with plastic in my experience is the plastic will get a tear in it. My new gas cans are Metal Wavians and those were $90, but the pour spout leaks gas badly. A funnel is needed for them in place of the spout.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72