Carrying skis/snowboard with OE Expedition Rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpljpl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all-

Has anyone tried to mount a ski/snowboard carrier to the cross-bars of the factory expedition rack? Our truck, which we've had for a bit now, came with the OE rack already installed.

The rack has proven itself useful many times, however I'm not clear if either the OE ski rack, or an aftermarket rack will be able to mount to the cross-bars. Would be great to see if I can carry some skis up there.

Does anyone know?

Thanks.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Google Land Rover LR3 Roof Rack

Per below, you will get lots of solutions re ski type roof racks.

The link below is to a set of factory cross bars that I guess you already have but then there is a pair of clamp like scissor things that attach left tor right to each bar that actually clamps on the skis - or you can install a Thule cargo box. Re the clamp rack, there may be an official LR pair, but is probably a rebranded Thule pair.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LAND-ROVER-...ies&hash=item4acfd145fb&vxp=mtr#ht_606wt_1024

jpljpl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link... But that is a set of crossbars, with a built-in ski carrier.

Like you had mentioned, I already have a set of cross-bars... So that wouldn't work for me.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a native mount to the existing Expedition crossbars, or if maybe a universal mount for a set of Thule/Yakima scissor type racks would be large enough to use.

This is the rack I have.

http://www.roverguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/camping-roof-rack-590x350.jpg

Last edited:

GSMblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thule and yakima have ski/snowboard racks that fit to aero bars. Contact a place like rack attack or REI, they can probably help.

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the OE cross bars (not sure if your expedition rack sets on top of them or has it's own integral cross bars) Thule will definitely fit. I spoke to them about 3 weeks ago now specifically on that topic. I have the OE cross bars and Thule makes equipment to match with OE equipment, so you'll be able to get a ski carrier for the cross bars.
Hope that helps.

jpljpl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have the OE cross bars (not sure if your expedition rack sets on top of them or has it's own integral cross bars) Thule will definitely fit. I spoke to them about 3 weeks ago now specifically on that topic. I have the OE cross bars and Thule makes equipment to match with OE equipment, so you'll be able to get a ski carrier for the cross bars.
Hope that helps.

The expedition rack has it's own set of integral cross-bars, but good to know Thule has something that matches the OE cross-bars.

I guess my best bet is to drive out to a REI/Campmor and see if they have something that fits. I'll start with the Thule stuff.

Was hoping just to order it online, and save the trip!

jpljpl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Yakima universal bails that come with the Fat Cat 6 barely fit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 18

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99