CB Radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am finally going to put a CB in the LR3. anyone have any recommendations on which CB to go with, antenna mount, or install photos? i've searched through here and ran across nathan's setup, which seems pretty nice. i am thinking about getting the cobra 75WX ST. any thoughts would be appreciated!

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CB's are a thing of the Past....Go Ham instead!!! Not sure how Nathan did his but I installed my radio in the Nav cubby...

NavSetup.jpg

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
now that's ****! almost as much as that rear bumper/swing away tire carrier you got!

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see how you have that post mounted to the floor. I was thinking of a similar thing to hold an IPAD.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cobra 75WX ST is a good unit, and easily mounts under the passenger seat and allows quick access to the handset with no visual intrusion into the rarefied atmosphere of the LR3's cabin environment.

But yeah, HAM is the way to go, as long as others in your group also go HAM as well. Did a trip last weekend where 4 of the 9 vehicles had HAM and it was SO MUCH better!

LR3-ham-install-01-800.gif

LR3-ham-install-02-800.gif

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ryan, I do have to say that is quite the setup you have there in you Landy. Work or pleasure?

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see how you have that post mounted to the floor. I was thinking of a similar thing to hold an IPAD.

It is a custom bracket that I made. I altered/reinforced the seat frame and bolted the bracket on to that. Is just a short piece of metal tubing and a setscrew so I can pull the whole computer/dock out and have full function of the seat. Really should be a bit stiffer for my Toughbook setup (19 lbs with dock and pc). I'll try and find the pics I took of it when I made it.

Ryan, I have to say that is quite the setup you have there in you Landy. Work or pleasure?

All pleasure!!!The build up has been mainly around overland travel rather then a day trip to the local Offroad parks. I go for days at a time and live out of the rig.
The following pic is of my Kitchen setup. Typically I do not camp in the same place twice. Since I am moving every day I have tried to setup the rig with the least amount of shuffling. This is one of my first custom builds for the LR3.
MyKitchen.JPG

pvangura

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Firstly - Ryan, that setup is awesome.

Second,
I actually just did this in my LR3, and I ended up mounting a cobra radio (not sure of which one at the moment) in the center console cubby box. This allows me to store the mic in the box with the radio, and still use the little cover over everything when it's not in use. When I need the radio, I flip open the box and plug in the mic. The lid will still close with the mic wire passed through. For the antenna, I used a similar setup to Nathan's with a small bracket that I bent mounted behind the driver's side tail light. I did use a "non ground plane" antenna (like for boats) since the roof of the LR3 is almost entirely glass, and there is no real reflective surface for it back there. Used it this past weekend, and it seems to function pretty well. It's dark here right now, but I can snap some pictures and upload if you'd like to see any.

-Paul

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anyone have any thoughts on installing an antenna to the A frame up front? it might be a dumb idea...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635