Center Diff Lock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jleebee1975

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if my 2000 Land Rover Disco 2 has the center diff lock option? Ive been doing some research and from what I can tell all of the 2000's were equipped with this. Is this true?...and if not how can I find out if mine has it?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
It has it, but no way to easily activate it...

You can either add linkage or if it were me, I would weld a small tab on the nut... attach a cable and just use something like a old choke cable or similar to activate it.

Jleebee1975

Reaction score
Thanks again, I will work on that. Correct me if im wrong but the transfer case lever in my discovery only has 3 postions right? High, neutral, and low. Whats the deal with the little picture thats adhered to the dash in front of the shifter?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If you had diff lock on the shifter you would have an H pattern okay more of a 2 box pattern.

Hi (with and without diff lock)
Netural
Lo (with and without diff lock)

But on the D2 up till 04 at least you just have Hi, Low and neutral.

When shifting between Hi and Low it is always best to be moving slowly at least a little bit.

Put the auto shifter into Neutral, then shift from hi to low or vise versa, then put shifter back into drive or reverse.

you can do it stopped, but it will be much easier when it is moving

basstard440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2000 only shows the mentioned 3. If you are afraid to weld (like me) you can build the lever and bolt it on with a nylon nut. You should climb underneath it and feel around to see if the previous owners installed a cdl.

lowwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 98 the lever is just seized. Tried taking the console apart lube up everything cleaned rust that was on the lever nothing. So I just climed under before and after trailing with a wrench and do it by hand. It work and the dash light even comes on. It do suck when its wet out. Good luck.

Jleebee1975

Reaction score
2000 Land Rover Disco 2 CDL

I appreciate all of the feedback. I will be checking it out this evening. Forgive my ignorance but can someone tell me exactly what the CDL does in relation to the 4WD system on the land rover?...and if the 2000's had it as an option why didnt it come with an easier way to activate it?

rovermech

Reaction score
From The T-Box book...."A center differential(contained in the transfer gear box)driven by the output gear provides full time 4wd by allowing the front and rear output shafts/flanges to automatically adjust their relative speeds to compensate for road wheel speed differences. A mechanical lock allows the operator to effectively eliminate the center differential under adverse conditions. Doing this provides a 50/50 power distribution front to rear.
Shifting into diff lock can be done at any speed as long as the front and rear axles are moving at the same relative speed. NEVER shift into diff lock if one or more wheels are spinning-this will damage the transfer gearbox."

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Also never use the Diff lock on paved roads that are not completely snow or mud covered.

Jleebee1975

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why they would make a useful feature like this so hard to activate? Are there any diagrams out there that I can reference to install a cable to manually engage this feature from inside the vehicle?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99