Charge for Alignment aftger warranty work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a traditional alignment -- I seriously doubt any but the best techs do the close tolerance steps in the TSB since dealership repair shops just don't work that way, it's piece work and time based for compensation purposes. Either way, it ain't no 2 hours and it ought to be included for the TRE alone and only because of it.

Disco Mike is correct, free alignments as adjustments expire with the first few miles/months. Thereafter, warranty only pays it if it's incidental to but necessary for a covered repair. Like you get free brake fluid if you need a new master cylinder under warranty, but otherwise brake fluid costs you money: Can't give you a free new brake system and then separately charge you to flush the fluid lest they won't fill it with fluid. Same reasoning applies to TRE - can't repair it without making the car less than whole as a consequence, so the alignment puts the car settings to normal.

kingfishgrapeja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. It seems that afterall they replaced two ball joints and the TRE's are fine. So because the procedure for replacing ball joints does not necessitate an alignment they charged me for the alignment at 149 and to calibrate the height settings as well at 100. I spoke with the service manager about it and he was decent enough about explaining it. The SA had already taken 10 percent off the bill for me (I brought them hoagies when I dropped the car off) and I can't dismiss the fact that they actually fixed 4 other items under warranty in a 24 hour period.

So overall I would have loved to not fork over 230 odd bucks today but I think they were fairly straight about the deal. Not a big fan of the suggested sell techiques on the throttle body cleaning and brake job but I suppose they have to eat too and they didn't get too ****** about me turning them down.

Hopefully I won't have to, but I would probably use them again for warranty work. They even rebalanced my front wheels without my asking or them saying anything about it. I only know they did it because the clip on weights are gone. I thought the truck drove great before but now it is even better. The tire noise that the front GY's were throwing is gone as well.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as you're happy and things are fixed. The record stands for future searchers on TRE alignment issues. I know nothing about why height settings need calibration at your expense while you are under warranty (warranty covers it if it's broken, right?) since you can't influence them absent a computer link or some physical modifications. Alignment is a usual maintenance item, and 140 is par for a dealer. Some day get rid of those GY tires, friend! Avoid the upsell suggested fluid flushes and overpriced brake jobs. Still, it's a good idea to flush brake fluid every few years as it absorbs water and loses efficacy with time, just watch for a special coupon (FYI, I pay about 80-90 on sale at my Audi store, also a LR shop, for this).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9