Check Engine Light / Erased Smart Key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BznLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding 2011 LR4 HSE Lux (with smart key):

Yesterday my Check Engine light came on. In know...correct solution is to place a piece of black tape so you can't see the light, but I wanted to know what was throwing an error.

I stopped at my local parts store for a rear wiper blade and as long as I was there asked the friendly guy behind the counter to connect their scan tool and tell me why the light was on. After assuring me that he had scanned other Rovers, he connected the scan tool, read the code (rear exhaust sensor reporting lean mixture), and cleared the error.

As we walked back into the store, I noticed the key FOB wouldn't lock the door. Oh well...maybe battery suddenly died? (would be quite a coincidence). To start the vehicle I had to use the dead FOB battery procedure placing the key in the magic spot under steering column, drove home, and sure enough the other smart key also didn't work. Turns out that the friendly tech inadvertently erased key codes! Later he told me that he has scanned LR3's without problem, but this was the first LR4 he has touched.

Nearest LR dealers are Spokane and Salt Lake (each 6..7 hours away), so I called an independent Land Rover mechanic who seems to know Rovers pretty well. He started by saying that ONLY a Land Rover scanner should ever be connected. He *hopes* he can undo the damage - otherwise I'm looking forward to a 6..7 hour road trip to the nearest dealer.

Anyone else experience this? Thoughts, advise, consolation?

At least let this be a warning...that "free" check engine scan offered by your local friendly parts store can be EXPENSIVE!

suvowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have scanned my lr4 many times and cleared codes with no problem......you should try a reset by discomnnecting your battery for 5 minutes and see what happens

BznLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Indeed battery unplugged for a few minutes reset both the check engine light, and restored the key codes (so key FOBs work again)! Unfortunately, I dropped Rover at the repair shop *before* posting to the forum, so paid for an hour of shop time for the same information (plus telling me what the code meant, road test, ...). Oh well, at least others here can learn from my experience...

FWIW...code was for lean fuel mixture. Tech that worked on it said that sometimes this happens due to "saddle" type fuel tank in LR4 causing fuel to slosh/aerate when fuel level is low (fuel was almost empty). I guess I'll keep it above 1/4 tank and hope the light doesn't come back!

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen this a few times, generally when the scanner is connected when the ignition is already on. The problem is generic scanners that try and figure out what communications protocol to use, end up sending messages on the CAN bus that will lock up various systems. A hard reset will take care of it and get you back to normal.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9