chirping noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robertharrison

Reaction score
hello eveyone,

I have a 2001 range rover 4.6 (68k miles) that has begun to make a chirping noise when you accelerate or drive. This noise is not present when at idle, or reving the engine in park or neutral. My disco II (148k) has never made this sound. I crawled undr the p38 and tugged around on the front drive shaft which had a little play (5-10 degrees) before I could no longer rotate it. the rear drive shaft moves vey little. I tested out my disco front shaft and it has zero play. The belts are ok and I have not heard anything typical of that issue. Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas? The cooling system is nominal. The vehicle operates fine, but the sound is driving my wife nuts.

thanks,
bob h:hmpf:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Chirping when driving could very well be your brakes... does the sound get worse or better when traveling when you touch the brakes.

robertharrison

Reaction score
hey,
The brakes are fine (rotors and pads about 3 months ago). The chirping is not there at idle or very slow speed- only when you accelerate and drive from 25 mph and higher.
thanks,
bob h

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
The fact that it doesn't make noise in park points to a driveline noise, i.e. u-joints (normally don't chirp) brakes, bearings, or possible suspension issues.

robertharrison

Reaction score
hello all,
The chirping noise was the front u-joint. I had not noticed any vibration associated with this-for future reference it sonded like a metallic cricket.
thanks,
bob

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9