clunking feel from the steering wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goinsurfin

Reaction score
Over the weekend, i took the kids down some trails near the homestead race track. Recently, my control arms/bushings were replaced so I expected a solid feel of a ride while crawling up and out of holes and other random obstacles. However, I did notice new clunking sounds vibrating through the steering wheel. Prior to replacing the control arms, it was easy to feel the clunking/looseness from the wheels on either side. But now, this center focus area has me puzzled. Any idea as to what else is "loose" or worn?
Thanks

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be tie rod ends or sway bar bushings. I had the same clunking in the steering wheel plus loud howling from a worn wheel bearing and a leaking control arm bushing.

So last week I had the following installed: 2 new hubs, 2 new lower control arms and ball joints, new tie rod ends, new sway bar bushings and of course an alignment. I'm not sure which of these corrected the steering clunk but it is gone.

goinsurfin

Reaction score
Thanks Paul. I'll take a look at these areas too. Thank.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it an audible clunk or more like a chunky unsmooth feeling in the steering itself? If it's the latter it could be the U-Joint at the end of the steering shaft. Swaybar bushing issues are easy to hear but don't transmit through the steering wheel much, at least in my experience.

Trynian

Reaction score
It could be steering rack or tie rod. Tie rods are easy to test, jack up a front wheel and see if you can wobble the wheel back and forth. if it wobbles you can then see where the play is in either the inner or outer tie rods ends. Usually it is a bit of both. the steering rack I found that you can get it to clunk around freeway circle on ramps.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a kit with inner/outer tie rod ends, fairly economical compared to the individual bits. Also the lower steering joint develops some noise in it.

It sounds like the issue I had, which was a combination of the shaft and inner tie rods.

QMN500250 SHAFT ASSY - STE Steering Column lower shaft 1 $96.08
LR010669 steering, steering gear & linkage, boot kit Left 1 $124.18
LR010670 steering, steering gear & linkage, boot kit Right 1 $124.18

goinsurfin

Reaction score
I still have to have the clunking looked at but it was definitely felt through the steering shaft. I'll have my guy check all of the above and report back with the findings.. Its interesting that it only happened at very slow speeds and with greater than normal articulation. On road at highway speeds, nothing. Going over road bumps, nothing.

TLT, I'm assuming based on the those listed part numbers are from the dealer?

Thanks guys.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct goingsurfin I ordered from landrovermerriam. I try to stick with OE, and just did this job.

It was most noticeable for me, with the car not running, by wobbling the wheel back and forth, you could hear it more than feel it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635