Code 44 and 45. Looks like I got a Heated O2 problem.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

broadshore

Reaction score
What is the best way to fix this problem or where can I fine this problem. It seem that my Heated O2 Sensors are not shutting themselves off when my 1994 Land Rover Discovery is not running or they won't shut off when the vehicle is on the road.

Is there a way to fix this or maybe shut off the Heated O2 sensors???

Broadshore

Owner of a 1994 Land Rover Discovery
3.9L GEM V8

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
How many miles on your Disco? and Are they the original sensors?

broadshore

Reaction score
On the new motor around 1000 miles. Yes just recently replace the O2 sensors.

broadshore

Reaction score
1000 Miles on the New Motor and the O2 Sensors are brand new. Just got them about 2 weeks ago. Joey! SAVE ME!! Save my Rover!! please.. I beg...

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heated.......

What is the best way to fix this problem or where can I fine this problem. It seem that my Heated O2 Sensors are not shutting themselves off when my 1994 Land Rover Discovery is not running or they won't shut off when the vehicle is on the road.

Broadshore

3.9L GEM V8

Ok, from what I’m reading here, when the engine is on or off, the power to the heated portion of the O2 sensor is always on. If this is correct, then there is either a stuck relay or relay in the processor that is activating this at all times. I would look in your under bonnet/ hood and replace the relay that feeds the heated sensor.

Good luck………. Chongo
:bandit:

broadshore

Reaction score
That that problem right there Chongo. I resently replaced the Relay from Roverparts so it seems it down to my computer.

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That that problem right there Chongo. I resently replaced the Relay from Roverparts so it seems it down to my computer.

I wouldn’t say that yet.

Is there something you had done recently, or a shop did recently to you vehicle, even a new stereo ? Anything you can think of ? Did anything special happen when this started ?

Let me know……. Chongo

broadshore

Reaction score
Hmmm..

Well, this is the list of thing I could found that is done to the land rover.

Rebuilt the 3.9l V8 and added a R20 Cam for more torque
Replace TPS Sensor.
Replace MAF Sensor
Replace 02 Sensor.
Replace Fuel Pump

Replace Relay for Fuelpump and there a sensor that keeps getting really really hot that is next to the Fuel Pump Relay *Metal like relay*. When I put in a different relay to the REALLY hot one it makes a load *Clllaacck* Sound when I turn on the ignition but the Rover won't fire. Its like a really load *Cleack* Sound but it goes away in like 5 maybe 8 seconds.

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heated 02

Broadshore

3.9L GEM V8

One important question here, is the heated 02 still energized with the key out? I know this sounds redundant, but it is one of the key questions to get the proper direction of trouble shooting this circuit.

Hmmm..

Well, this is the list of thing I could found that is done to the land rover.

Rebuilt the 3.9l V8 and added a R20 Cam for more torque
Replace TPS Sensor.
Replace MAF Sensor
Replace 02 Sensor.
Replace Fuel Pump

Replace Relay for Fuelpump and there a sensor that keeps getting really really hot that is next to the Fuel Pump Relay *Metal like relay*. When I put in a different relay to the REALLY hot one it makes a load *Clllaacck* Sound when I turn on the ignition but the Rover won't fire. Its like a really load *Cleack* Sound but it goes away in like 5 maybe 8 seconds.

The clicking sound your hearing sounds like a oscillating relay to me. You need to verify this by recreating the noise, and finding out if it is a relay or not, and if it is a relay, which one? And what’s it’s function?

Since I cannot see your Rover personally, I have to start asking questions which is part of the trouble shooting process.

1: What was the last repair/ modification, (even stereos count), done just before the problem started,
and how soon did the problem occur after?

2: Engine block to frame ground?

3: are there any burned wires on the exhaust, check all wiring harnesses in engine compartment.

4: Check ECM ground.

5: Check all ground wires for being secure, corrosion free, and continuity.

6: What condition are the battery cables in? positive and the ground cable?

7: Are there any electrical devices that were installed?

8: Are you getting fuel pressure? How much? Are you getting fuel pressure when the key is turned off? Does the pump run continuously?

9: Is the ignition system operating during cranking? Is there spark?

10: Are there more trouble codes? If so, what are they? If not you need to check this and get this done and post the results.

11: Pull and check all fuses, check for corrosion on the connectors and on the fuse itself, clean and reinstall.

12: repeat #11 procedure with all relays.

13: Clean and inspect all connectors / connections.

14: Does it crank? Does it spin fast or slow when the battery is fully charged?

Let us know…………….. Chongo

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99