Cold air intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L

LandyLight

HAs anyone tried a cold air intake (not snorkel) on a 95 disco 1. I figured with Uzbad making a snorkel I would try to make a cold air intake. Will the forced air throw a code...The oe air box is kinda dumb with the location of the intake NO fresh air. In doing this will the landy get better gas milage, power (minimal) or wont it make it any better. Thanx Uzbad now the bug bit me :)))) :bandit:

D

discomike

Forced air will not throw a code, will it help , yes , not much but every little bit helps.
Mike J.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In Sergei's thread cutting and pasting from D-90.com, there is a claimed 2 or 3 hp loss from not having cold air....so it'd be a help...

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well - good luck, Adam :)

Here is my experience with that stuff so far:

I been modeling and toying with cold air intake, and, unless you sticking in peltier driven cooler - no way you can make something that will be better than stock box. Pity - but true. You cant get colder air from underneath - overwise in autumn/winter/spring even on road you will get some melty snow or water in intake. And redirecting from inside of fender is plain pointless in summer - b/c air in there is bloody hot. In fact its hot in winter too, at least for my 94... Plus its already increasing length of intake, so you need some little helper to not compromize "sucking power" :)

But then peltier + some sort of radiator-like mesh to suck air through and cool it - isnt very effective due same issue - you need helper b/c you effectively blocking intake.. :(

Then again - may be i am wrong - so post your design here, if you will get something :)

So far all designs coming up to be just something like me old air intake - cone filter with reflective barrier to protect from exhaust's heat - not very effective.
Again - could be just me. But my engine compartment is pretty bloody hot all the time in summer.

As on HP gain - allegedly you can gain up to 20 horsies by swapping to less restrictive filtering system. However same less restrictive system will (as in article i posted in that other thread) suck in hot air - so real gain is really depends on general temperature of compartment. I can say that my XTerra really got some horses back after switching to K&N FIPK kit. But Rover didnt gain much from switching to cone filter with heat shield. But then my Disco's compartment feels like oven in comparition (why spell check fails that word?) to X.

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Landy Light, on my D1 i removed the snorkel ( small inlet) and used two 3"
x 45 degree rubber hoses from a 80's Mustang 4 cylinder intake system. Couple together with a piece of exhaust pipe into a offset. One end will fit over the airbox stub and the other thru the hole in the radiator support, right behind the left headlight. You'll have ram air as well as cold, you can feel the difference in power. To go back to stock for smog test takes three minutes.
This woke my engine up as i've got a 4.6 motor, RPI cam and chip with Borla exhaust going thru a 5-speed. It's fun to blow past Range Rovers even with the 4.4 engine as well as Disco 4.6. I also added a spacer between the intake manifold and the ram tube housing for lower rpm torque. A pre-oilers a must also as thats why i installed another engine. On smog, 4 of 100 max, 5 of 180 max at 2,500 on HC, .01% and 0.000% for Co. Sorry i didn't want to steal your thread, Carl.........................................o&o>..............................

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Carl, can you post pictures of this setup?

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alternatively you could remove big round rubber access plug (exact same hole), but its on the side of fender and run hoose there.

Unfortunately both things arent very helping when driving in mud/water/sandy-dusty situation as they will allow more elements and debris to enter air line than in situation with stock intake.

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cold air intake,

Sergei this is a street vehicle only, should i go back stock it takes 2 minutes, then the factory intake is 4-5" back from the cold air system. I'll try to get some pictures posted as another forum person asked for pictures. Carl..o&o>..

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
beemer said:
Sergei this is a street vehicle only, should i go back stock it takes 2 minutes, then the factory intake is 4-5" back from the cold air system. I'll try to get some pictures posted as another forum person asked for pictures. Carl..o&o>..

Ah! Then it should be no issue (unless you live in FL and drive in huricane i sppse :))
Share pictures then :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72