Cold weather stalling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mamesteco

Reaction score
Now that the cold weather has hit us here in Ontario, my 96 Disco has started to stall occasionally.
Before the cold weather was here I had a code for upstream O2 sensors, engine light was on. I changed both upstream and cleared the code. Now I have the P1194 downstream code on and engine light. Still occasional stalling, low idle when it is warmed up.
Anyone have an idea what is going on?
Why do I have a downstream code now and didn't have it when I had the upstream code?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Clean your MAF, TPS and IAC and clear your codes, you should be good after that.

mamesteco

Reaction score
Any cautions on cleaning?
Can carb cleaner be used on all?
Don't want to trash any.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Contact cleaner or MAF cleaner.

mamesteco

Reaction score
Cleaned TPS, IAC(did a check, and it moves with on-off of key) , and MAF and cleared the codes. Now when I start it, it revs at 2200rpm when idle, drops to around 1100rpm with a load. Now What????

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If after a couple of shutdown/restarts if it is still running high rpms, then I would Disconnect the battery for an hour, reconnect and try again.. if issue continues, I would check fuel pressure to make sure it isn't the sign of a bad fuel pump.

mamesteco

Reaction score
Thanks for your help Joey.
Took it for a couple of good runs.
Disconnected battery for a couple hours, still idled high.
Checked stepper motor again. (I believe that was my problem for the low idle, it was very dirty).
From our searching we found the TPS defaults to 2300 rpm (right about where it was idling) when not working.
Took TPS off and cleaned again.
Idle is down now. Idles down to 1000 rpm when stopping and a couple of seconds later it will idle down to approx. 750 rpm.
Why the hesitation?

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
just to make sure, I would check the fuel pressure at the rail to see if you don't have a fuel pump starting to go out.

mamesteco

Reaction score
What is your reasoning for checking the fuel pressure?
I see the fitting on the rail, have never checked this before. Do I need a special fuel pressure gauge to check the pressure.
Can a gauge be permenantly mounted to the fuel rail?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge