Complete shut down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Disco Fever

Reaction score
I've owned a 2016 LR4 for 6 months now and it has been flawless and a joy until yesterday. Driving slowly in traffic, approx. 10mph and all of a sudden everything just shut down. Radio, all dash lights, power steering, selector knob retracted.....I had enough momentum to pull over and was eventually able to restart but this has left me concerned if it happens again in a more dangerous situation. I did do a quick search and found I am not alone but can't seem to find too much info on what could be the issue. Feedback appreciated.

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always carry he IID Tool for reading and erasing fault codes. Perhaps there are faults stored that would indicate what happened.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Complete shutdown is an electrical/computer issue. It is also a major safety issue. Have you taken it to the dealer? They may have found something or heard of other issues.

Ryan00TJ

Reaction score
It's under warranty. Take it to the dealer. Hopefully a fault occurred and it can be located.

ThamesDitton

Reaction score
Disco Fever - Glad to hear you are OK .

I choose a new 2016 LR4 over the soon to be released LR5 because I figured after 12 years of making this car they should have got it right.

I don't pick our LR4 up until October 7th. I would be really interested to know what the issue with your car is/was.

I have an 11 year old lr2 which has been a really great car - very reliable. I was starting to worry about the age of the Lr2... you know the nightmare breaking down in the dark in the rain with the wife, the baby, and the dog on board.

This was my main motivation for buying a new vehicle, and I stuck with LandRover because of the great experience we had with the lr2.

The 2005 lr2 is a tractor compared to the starship enterprise 2016 LR4. There is something to be said for having a simpler rig with less electrics.

I will let you know whether the LR2 or the LR4 is the first to let me down.

Courage to you and insist the dealer fixes your LR4 properly while your car is still under warranty.

See here for some good advice and moral support.

All the best

Thames

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stealther

Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your problems, that's definitely a serious issue and LR should treat it as such. Please keep us updated on what they find and how your dealer experience is.

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, this happened to our LR3, driving up a steep mountain pass on the highway and it just shutoff without warning. Thankfully restarted after a couple minutes and never recurred. Terrifying experience, almost drove us away from the brand altogether.

Stealther

Reaction score
FWIW, this happened to our LR3, driving up a steep mountain pass on the highway and it just shutoff without warning. Thankfully restarted after a couple minutes and never recurred. Terrifying experience, almost drove us away from the brand altogether.

What was the cause of the shutdown?

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never determined the cause, they thought it was an oxygen sensor or something similar. Don't recall the exact reference.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72