Coolant leak, a bad one. 2001 RR HSE 4.6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dfayette

Reaction score
We've had a slow coolant leak for the past couple weeks but couldn't locate it. It occurred mostly when driving so there weren't any drops on the drive. Now it looses coolant pretty fast and over heats quickly. It appears to be coming from the right side (passenger side) at the top of the block at the rear of the engine. All I can see is steam coming up and can't really see back there well enough to see where it's coming from. Any guesses? Intake manifold leak? Will a new gasket fix? There is no water in the oil.

Thanks

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, stop driving it before you toast the engine, as in today.
You could pay to have it pressure tested but it is safe to say you have a blown head gasket.
Do you have a good mechanic that you trust that is not a dealer?

dfayette

Reaction score
Is there a simple way to prove it's a head gasket? Like I said, there is no water in oil.
I have a RR service manual and am a pretty good mechanic, can I do it in my garage at home?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be happy the is no coolant in the oil"YET", that only happens on certain types of head gasket failures.
As I mentioned before, if you want, go have the coolant system presurerized and you'll see you leak and at the location you described, it is a head gasket.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112