coolant leak possibilities????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K

Kentuckydiesel

I just picked up my '01 discovery with the coolant leak. It almost seems to be coming out of the transmission bell housing. Is there a freeze plug on the back of the block that could leak?
What other common leak sources should I look for?

Thanks, Phillip

99d2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3 core plugs

From the shop manual illustration, it appears there are 3 "Core Plugs" on the back of the engine.

Finding a leak on an engine can be a challenge. Especially in the back where it is dark and difficult to see. A trick I've used in the past is to clean the engine off as much as possible and then puff baby powder on the block where I think the leak might be occuring. One of my friends claims the spray on foot powder works too.

Have you looked at the heater core connections at the firewall? Probably a long shot, but a leak there might drip down on the bell housing. Is there any puddles in any of the intake manifold crevices? Other possible leaks could be the rear of either cylinder head or the rear of the intake manifold.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about freeze plugs, the odds are it is leaking from the intake manifold gasket on the passenger side rear of the engine.... Normal leak for Land Rovers.

If it isn't bad it will be not major issue, mine has been leaking for 4 years... just add mixed anti-freeze once a week and keep some in the back just in case.

If it is leaking a lot, then you may want to fix it... I look at it from the Harley Davidson way of thinking... if it stops leaking it is empty.

K

Kentuckydiesel

I wouldn't worry about freeze plugs, the odds are it is leaking from the intake manifold gasket on the passenger side rear of the engine.... Normal leak for Land Rovers.

If it isn't bad it will be not major issue, mine has been leaking for 4 years... just add mixed anti-freeze once a week and keep some in the back just in case.

If it is leaking a lot, then you may want to fix it... I look at it from the Harley Davidson way of thinking... if it stops leaking it is empty.

It's leaking pretty fast. I can't really even move it or it spews everywhere. It is leaking faster on the pass. side than the driver's side. I haven't been underneath while it was running yet, so I can't really say for sure. I'll be checking that out in a few minutes.

Are there any steps to take to prevent future leaks? Thanks, Phillip

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
The biggest fix is to replace what ever is leaking no matter if it is the heater hoses, or the gaskets... but no matter what you do it will never be leak free.... Not that this is a bad thing, it is just letting you know it wants a little TLC.

Muddyone

Land Rover Sales Consultant
Reaction score
What coolant do you use, are you guys using the one from the stealers or something aftermarket? As i also have a small leak somewhere.... lol

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I use the Green stuff you buy at any auto parts store, I normally get the premixed version and keep a gallon in the back.

Muddyone

Land Rover Sales Consultant
Reaction score
thanks Joey, would i have to drain the current or could i mix the two colours together?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
OOPS, if you have a D2, do not use the green stuff, sorry for the confusion.... buy the stuff that states it is safe for both versions.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4