Cooper Zeon Question(Tire size)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Currently running Kelly Safari 275/65/18 on my SE. I will be moving in about a month and don't plan on doing too much off-roading while gone. I want to swap my TSR's for the Zeon's, but the only size I see to fit the 18" wheel is the 275/70. Will the increase from the 65 to a 70 effect the ride? I have the 2.5" Johnson lift, but I'm not sure if the slight 1" increase on tire size will do any harm with rubbing, etc? If anyone is running these tires please enlighten me! I have seen this tire on a few LR3's so I'm not sure:stupid:

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see on the "sport utility" version there is a 285(11.43")/60 size. Would these fit? A bit wider than the 275(11.0") With the sport utility version the load range is XL. The load range for the light truck version is E which is the same as my current tire. The maximum load for the XL is 3,086ibs and for the E is 3,640.

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did some further research and noted that a lot of LR3 owners have used the 285 size tire. The sensor wire looks as though it would be rubbed and eventually chewed through. Could I simply move the wire on top of the frame and pop the holder into the other hole?

perkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes you want the 285/60 18s. I have these and the pic below give you an idea of what they look like. You are correct in that you need to zip tie that wire up onto the frame on the drivers side.

15400338_large.jpg

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's really gotta be some crazy geometric disparity from truck to truck OR the difference in width from 275/ to 285/ must be more pronounced than one might thing...because I took a look under my rig today with the steering wheel cranked full left and the inside/rear of the tire is not anywhere near that wiring loom. I have the 275s but used to run the 285/60 Zeons and my loom has never been touched.

Has anyone actually had the tire make contact or has it just been dangerously close to the point where people have wanted to move it to be proactive?

Same head-scratching thing with the air shock on the passenger side front being "holed" by the upper A-arm. I know this has happened to people, but again I looked hard at mine today and it's not even close, like I can't conceive of how it might occur.

I wonder if there were slight config changes to later VINs??? Mine is a mid-year '05. Took delivery in June of '05.

perkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will rub when the tire is stuffed in the wheel well at full turn. It wont touch just sitting flat at full turn

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not only have I had it rub, but I had a suspension fault from the wire getting rubbed. It takes just a second to zip tie it up a couple of inches higher. As one of the early adopters of the Cooper Zeon's, I can't say enough about the versatility of the tire. Snow and Mud are not their best suit, but for rocks, sand, and other trails, they are great. They are pretty quiet on the highway as well...just run them about 5 pounds higher than factory on the front and 2 pounds higher on the rear. I'm on my second set, the first set went 47 or 48k miles.

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sold with the Zeons. I have heard both negatives and positives, but since I'm planning on doing a lot of highway driving in Orlando I don't think I'll have many problems. I'm hoping that the change from a knobby offroad tire(Safari TSR) to a less aggressive Zeon will help slim down on the gas guzzling. I know I'll be going wider with the 280's, but I think it will be less work on the engine and transmission. As for the tires rubbing against the wire, yes, my 275's were rubbing on my sensor wire. In fact I checked last night and ended up zip tying it up against the frame and wrapped loom around it with some heavy duty tape just as precaution. Better safe than sorry!

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just found some BF g-Force T/A's. They look nice!

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just spoke with a customer relations person in Cooper HQ and He told me , that they just released a info letter , stating , that new size will be available for purchase in first Quarter of 2012 which in cooper terms means, when they say first four months, they usually release a new size on the second week of January.
Most of you will know , that i am talking about our stock 255 55 19 tire size, that I was told , suppose to come out last November. well..better later, then never then, I think , that is somehow good news, but since I am in Northeast, this tire may not be an overall winner in snow and mud...I don't know...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM