Cooper Zeon Question(Tire size)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wires are ******* against the frame, are they not on some other vehicles? Or are you saying that you zip tied them to the top of the frame?

I still do not see how the tire can contact the wires on my vehicle, stuffed or not. I tried to visualize the trajectory of the tire as it moved upward in the wheel well, and I don't see how that would affect it. The tire would have to be pushed inward, like directly laterally toward the frame, not in an upward arc as it would during stuffage.

I know that moving the wire is a quick job but I feel that it makes the angle of the connection at the sensor really crappy...or crappier. That doesn't seem like it'd be good for the wires, just my opinion of course.

Could your damaged wires or sensor be a result of a rock or other debris getting thrown around in the wheel well?

There is at least 3 inches of clearance between the tire and the wiring loom.

rkk3lly

Reaction score
I've run the 285/60's since March and have never had a rubbing issue yet. No experience with other sizes.

kevin

EIGHTLUG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just spoke with a customer relations person in Cooper HQ and He told me , that they just released a info letter , stating , that new size will be available for purchase in first Quarter of 2012 which in cooper terms means, when they say first four months, they usually release a new size on the second week of January.
Most of you will know , that i am talking about our stock 255 55 19 tire size, that I was told , suppose to come out last November. well..better later, then never then, I think , that is somehow good news, but since I am in Northeast, this tire may not be an overall winner in snow and mud...I don't know...

That's great news. I'll be waiting patiently.

perkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wires are ******* against the frame, are they not on some other vehicles? Or are you saying that you zip tied them to the top of the frame?

Yes, zip tied to the top of the frame

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah...I just don't see the need for that on my particular LR3. I started a thread about vehicle geometry that nobody has responded to...maybe it was too much work, but I think it'd be interesting for us to quantify some of the differences.

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked at another LR3, an '08 I believe, and the sensor wires were located on the inside of the frame away from any obstructions. My 2005 wires were located on the outside of the frame and WERE being rubbed by my 275/65 Safari TSR's. I relocated the wires to fit snug on top of the frame and added looming to the majority of the visible wiring along with some heavy duty tape. I did it in a clean fashion so that if I decide to sell the vehicle it will look like a factory finish.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't doubt you or anyone else who has experienced this...I'm simply wondering how to explain the disparity in our various experiences...as obvious as it must've been to you that you'd had some rubbing, it's equally obvious with one look into the wheel well of my '05 that in 6 years of regular off-road use there has been no occurance of any rubbing. How can these things be explained?

perkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked at another LR3, an '08 I believe, and the sensor wires were located on the inside of the frame away from any obstructions. My 2005 wires were located on the outside of the frame and WERE being rubbed by my 275/65 Safari TSR's. I relocated the wires to fit snug on top of the frame and added looming to the majority of the visible wiring along with some heavy duty tape. I did it in a clean fashion so that if I decide to sell the vehicle it will look like a factory finish.

My 08 hse had it mounted on the outside of the frame like your 05.

MTnative

Reaction score
Where's the rub?

The other day my tire shop wouldn't let me drive home with the 285/60/R18 Zeon's I had ordered. However, I'm conviced based on everything that I have read, that they will.

They said it was too tight here (I hope you can see the attachement):

Does anyone have a pic that is running the 285s showing that they don't rub?

Attachments

• tireLR3.jpg
    tireLR3.jpg
    416.9 KB · Views: 28

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM