Cross Country Vacation - LR3 Style

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last summer (I'm only now loading all of pictures on the computer) our family took a five week vacation via my LR3. Leaving home in Key West, Fl we drove to Taos, NM to hike up Mt Wheeler, over to Mesa Verde to see the ruins. Ophir pass to Telluride, Imogene pass back over (Black Bear Pass was still closed, this being around July 10th). Stayed In Robert's Cabin along Boreas Pass. Over to Utah and stayed at Limber Flag Yurt. Couple of days at Yellowstone and some climbing at Sylvan Lake at Custer State Park in SD. That's less than half of all the things we did but those are topics for other forums.

We drove over 6500 miles. The only mechanical issue was a tire blew out just outside of Pinedale Wyoming. The original Goodyears where replaced with Michelin 4x4 Diamaris (size 275/55 19 has to be deflated to fit in spare well) when we got home. Here are some pictures. This trip was in the planning stages for about 18 years. The original idea came when my wife and I first got married (September 28, 1990) and lived in an apartment in Annapolis, MD. Living in the same complex was someone who worked for LRNA. At that time, the HQ's was in Lanham, MD. Everyday, that person drove home a different Land Rover. I saw what must have been one of the first Disco's in the US, a red 2 door with all of the safari gear. I decided then that someday I would have a Land Rover decked out just like that. At the time, I was on a Jeep budget. Some fortunate career moves, 12 years and three kids later, I buy new LR's and take month long vacations.

Attachments

• MesaVerdeCampingcmp.jpg
    MesaVerdeCampingcmp.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 147
  • OphirPasscmp.jpg
    OphirPasscmp.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 149
  • ImogenePass1cmp.jpg
    ImogenePass1cmp.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 147
  • Robert'sCabincmp.jpg
    Robert'sCabincmp.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 151
  • LimberFlagYurtcmp.jpg
    LimberFlagYurtcmp.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 150

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks like a nice storage system you have up on the roof. (seriously) Are those standard size boxes you were just able to lash into a rooftop tray? Anyway, looks like they served the purpose without affecting your height/clearance too much.

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great story and very cool that you were able to do that with your family. I'd love to see more pics.

My wife and I have been talking about our first family roadtrip with our new baby boy - either to see Mt. Rushmore and hit Yellowstone while we are up that way (both places neither of us have ever been) or down to the Grand Canyon. Either way, we'll most likely be driving a LR of some sort.

-Rich

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get lots of comments on the cases. They are StormCase M2700. I bought them on-line, they are a slightly cheaper version of the classic Pelican Case. They are about the same size as a suitcase, are watertight and come with pretty substantial clasps. I think they were about $200 each with shipping. The roof rack is the LR Expedition Rack. To secure the cases I attached a "footman" loop to the center of each cross bar. I got those in stainless from West Marine. 2" nylon webbing wraps around the side rail of the rack though a cam cleat, over one case, through the footman loop in the center of the cross bar, over the case on the other side, and finishes with another wrap around the rail and another cam cleat. This way, a case on either side can be removed, the webbing tightened and the remaining case is still firmly secured. The webbing I also got from West Marine (I'm in the boat business) along with the the cam cleats. Amazingly, the cases are recessed to hold the straps, the spacing of the recesses is the came as the spacing of the roof rails.

We have been to a lot of National Parks and Yellowstone was somewhat disappointing. Yeah, you have to see Old Faithful and the Lodge. Here is the problem, the Park was laid out to be accessible by cars (an enthusiastic Ranger told us this) so what you get are 1 million fat people, sticking their jowled faces out of their RV's to take a lousy picture of a buffalo crapping in the dirt. Even an LR3 HSE can become pretty uncomfortable when stuck in a traffic jam in what should be one of the most remote places in the US. Death Valley, Canyon Lands, and Big Bend are ideal Parks to explore via Land Rover.

If in the Mount Rushmore area, a truely spectacular place to stay are the cabins at Sylvan Lake Lodge, try to get cabin 7, the view is breath-taking.

There is no finer purpose for a Land Rover than doing extended travel. Ironically, here in South Florida you see more LR's and RR's pimped out with tinted windows and 22" wheels than you do with mud. I don't know if many of those buyers are ultimately happy with their purchase. For the way I "like to roll" this is the best vehicle ever made.

Here are some more pictures from our trip:
My daughters on the descent of Mt Wheeler, it was snowing about 20 minutes earlier.
A section of Imogene Pass where no one would ride with me.
Cabin 7 at Sylvan lake Lodge, SD.
My "Buffalo from a window" picture, Yellowstone NP.

Attachments

• EmilyRobynMtWheelercmp.jpg
    EmilyRobynMtWheelercmp.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 93
  • ImogenePass2cmp.jpg
    ImogenePass2cmp.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 94
  • cabin7cmp.jpg
    cabin7cmp.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 94
  • BuffaloOutWindowcmp.jpg
    BuffaloOutWindowcmp.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 90

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I have to say, impressive. I was in VA Bch when I say my first Disco in 1994. At the time being an underpaid military man with a Wife and too many bills for my pay, a LR was out of the question.

I have yet to make a trip out west, but after seeing this I may have to get my 1997 ready for a long drive...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM