Curious...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...how many people on this forum that have had their bushings replaced (or need to) take their LR3 offroad? ...and how many do not?

I wonder if the rigors of off-roading contribute to the degradation of the bushings. Logic would say "yes."

GrahamWelland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It might be worth also defining 'off road' too.

I just had all mine done (yes, ALL of them) and now have a dramatically improved LR3 to the degree that it feels pretty much like the day I bought it new off the lot.

Off roading? Unsurfaced forest trails, rocky roads, dry creak beds, miles & miles & miles of washboard and abandoned roads of the west in any weather? - sure. Tearing up the forest in mud up to the axles or crawling over rocks whilst balanced on crushable bits of my LR3? - nope. :driver:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would define off-roading as anything a Subaru Outback could NOT do. That said, Graham, you bring up a good point as far as washboards go. Though low amplitude jolts, they are very frequent and that could pound the suspension too.

My feeling is that off-roading has GOT to take a toll on the bushings, but I'd be interested to hear if there are non-wheelers on this board who've also experienced the bushes going out. It could be that off-road use is not the sole culprit but just speeds up the wearing process.

Auburn92

Reaction score
take mine off roading, rock climbing, dirt, sand..., and yes, just replaced front.

Trynian

Reaction score
I have replaced the fronts on an 06 and I off-road. But they started to knock before I went off-road at about 27,000 miles and slowly got worse until I replaced them at 40k.

I noticed it a little at first ingressing driveways then really noticed it more when starting to off-road on dirt roads.

I don't think the slow off-road stuff would have that much impact on the ware. Some of those higher speed washboard dirt roads seemed to make it knock more.

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of the 70k miles on my rig (05 V8 SE), i've only been "seriously" offroading 3 times (intense rock crawling, mudding, etc). I do, however, drive my truck pretty hard and the roads in Austin aren't that great. I had mine done at 68k, but they had been a knockin at about 65k. I only had 1 bushing that needed to be replaced, but went ahead and did both anyway.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '05 bushings are fine with 49000 miles. I don't do any super aggressive off roading, but I would also have to say that a mile of washboard road would be worse than 10 miles of rock crawling, IMO. Fortunately I don't do much washboard roading.

To all who had a factory or extended warranty, was replacement covered with no problem?

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had my lower front control arms (which include bushings) replaced and covered by the Ford ESP warranty.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay...is there anyone on the forum that had their bushings replaced that does NO OFFROADING of any kind?

angasreid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I recall correctly... there is a member with 22" Redbourne Saxons. He doesn't offroad or at least I don't think so...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99