Custom exhaust suggestions/help needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DirtyDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do you get this Tornado chip? I've only heard of the powerchip for the Discovery.

DirtyDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my exhaust installed today. Sounds pretty sweet. Idle is a little loud, it's not tooooo bad and when you're cruising along it's real quiet until you step on it and it just roars like mad. I don't think the cops are going to be worrying about it... if I have to I can put it into neutral at the red light and it is almost completely silent. But overall, it's not too bad sounding... sounds like a muscle car or something... Vrrrrrrrrooom Vrrrrroom!!

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chips

DirtyDisco; on the RPI Tornado chip it was for my 95 D1 which was the last year Rover used the 3.9. They went to the 4.0 motor in 96 without a distributor plus OB2 vs 95 and back OB1. Funny thing it looks bigger or better to show 4.0 vs 3.9 on the back end but both motors have the same bore and ******. Sales pitch? I can adjust mechanical advance and tune the motor to what I want not a damn puter plus a company in Oz to get rebuilt vacuum advance units rebuilt and set to your specs not Rovers failing parts that last 18 months at best. I did dyno runs to tune my 4.6 and that RPI was the ticket as it fueled until redline not lean and shutting down like Rovers chip, this can destroy motors. I recall RPI has chips for the 4.0 but then this will cost more as the 4.0 has more run on the puter.
From what I know now Rovers should or had a 4.6 from day one in Discos.
You can't beat a Borla exhaust with stock exhaust manifolds after they have been opened up as well the intake to head plus port matching. Headers with smog testing is a trouble zone in my area.

Last edited:

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes just one Borla muffler, their cat back system bolts up right after the Y pipe connection 100% stainless steel. Not cheap but a million mile guarantee.
They claim 4% failure which mine did and rattled for a year but then with the guarantee papers and bill of sale from a performance parts outfit on the net Borla said I wasn't in their computer. Hell I had certified mail the lifetime guarantee to them but it still took 3 months to get a replacement. If you get a Borla check the inlet pipe of the muffler as early mufflers had a hourglass
piece of pipe for a restriction which reduced flow to 52%, not good. Later mufflers without this restriction but drone between 22-2,500 rpm's, right at the legal speed zone. I have a oval stainless resonator to add at the rear later. With this exhaust and 4.6 it has a mad growl when you stand on it that the weak 3.9 never did.

L

LuHu

Dirty Disco, Did you remove the mid box all together? How does it sound when waiting in a traffic jam? IS your car an automatic? I replaced my rusted back box with a Remus straight through silencer today. Cost me around $300 fitted (i live in Beijing and imported parts are a little pricey here) The sound is only slightly deeper than before, but the engine seems to be quicker on the pick up? of course, its a little too early to say that for sure.

DirtyDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I removed both stock mufflers, the mid and the rear mufflers. Then the muffler shop put a pipe where the mid muffler used to be and mounted my carbon fiber racing muffler in the rear. It looks cool... it's slanted to the left and it's red carbon fiber with a titanium burnt tip. The red carbon fiber was supposed to match my car, but it's close... it's more pinkish than I hoped but it looks sweet none the less. Anyways, I had to put the silencer on it yesterday... after a road trip I decided the muffler was way too loud and annoying with out the silencer. With the silencer it still sounds a little tougher than the stock exhaust and I feel a few extra horses too... I think I got my money's worth.

PS yes my disco is an automatic... With the new exhaust, when I shift down to 3 or 2 (instead of D) it sounds sooo sick.... almost like a ferrari lol. Anyways, the cool thing is the muffler is only supposed to be 5 pounds.

Last edited:
J

john65b

I went to RPI site and it was $250 pounds, not $US. Big difference.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink