Damage during service at dealer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

appletigger

Reaction score
Hi guys, I need some advise.
I took my '06 LR3 for service to the dealer on last Sat. They called me and said that car is fixed, but there's a "MINOR" issue. Their Tech. guy was test driving it and scrached front passenger door. He was like, "it is minor scratch, but deep enough to repaint the whole door. It will be ready by Tuesday." What kind of "MINOR" scratch is that???? Did any of you experienced similar situation? If so, what did you do? My guess is repainting a door diminish some value of the vehicle.... I need help...

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like they are doing the right thing. They notified you, took responsibility, and are making the repair. This type of repaint won't diminish value. There is no accident record/history.

About painting the whole door, this is the right way to do it.

roverdawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. They could've just touched it up or filled and repainted the scratch but it wouldn't have blended with the rest of the door. Repainting the entire door is the way to go. Had a 3" dent in a lower rear quarter panel but as you know the LR3's rear panel extends from the bottom to the top of the vehicle and that's what they had to repaint to blend it. Just make sure that if your LR3 is black that they repaint it a week or so later after the first coat to avoid the "orange peel" effect.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeap, I had a similar experience. Had a window motor replaced and upon receiving the vehicle I noticed a small outward dent in the door panel, and light scratching on the window (from when it was rolled down appearantly).

All fixed by the dealer at no cost. I'm fine with it, stuff happens, but they took care of everything.

S

shod

I would prefer that over what BMW of Manhattan did to me 3 months before my X5's lease was over: They needed to work on the upper hatch and in the process managed to scratch the lower hatch in 3 long parallel lines. I didn't notice until i parked at home at which point they were closed. It took many phone calls to get someone to call me back. A month later they agreed to look at the car but told me there is no way they will take responsibility - damage unseen. I left the car with them for the day and when i picked it up that evening the scratches had thick touch up carelessly slathered over them.

I canceled my order for a new X5 the next day and ate the chargeback at lease end. (Ended up getting a short lease of an FX45 which I loved and then got the LR3)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635