dead battery?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whiskeynipple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Landy wouldnt start this morning (cold and windy last night) so I jumped it- ran fine - went to work... got off work - nothing, not even interior lights - jumped it again - while driving home the idle would fluxuate mostly running high -
put voltmeter on altinator and read between 12 and 14 volts . .tells me the alt is fine??
replaced battery - started like a champ - ran around the block (running all accessories - cranking the stereo etc...) after about 2 min idle drops down to 500, parked turned off... started back up and it would bearly stay running - very low rpm's even stalled..
got home started again ran all accessories (just idling) including a/c rpms were fine idled perfect...

my thoughts:
bad ground, bad voltage regulator, or the computer needed to reset

any thoughts would be great thanks

chris

R

rusoone

crazy

i've been having the same kind of problem, 97 disco, wouldn't start at the dealership i bought it from, LOL, jumped it went home, looked at the battery and said, "hold on this think looks new", but decided to get another battery anyway just to be safe, as i was getting home with the new battery my mom, little old lady, is standing outside with a sugical glove and a bottle of seltzer water telling me how i don't have to replace the battery and how she fixed everything with soda, lol, so just to make her happy i tried starting it, and bam, no problem car turned on, so now to me, it looked like a problem with a comection, so i installed my new battery for the hell of it, cuz i hate returning stuff, and used the felt things and the connectivity oil, after that it hasn't been a problem really, i think is should ckeck the cables the ground seems like another pluasable thing to look at

whiskeynipple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
update:
drove to work today - samething - idling funny

checked old battery last night - had 11.5 to 12 volts in it

also its a magneti alternator - any history issues maybe..??

Last edited:

whiskeynipple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
another update:

called dealer - they said start the truck disconnect the negative terminal from the battery - if it dies its your alt - -did that - - ran fine with all accessories on
Voltmeter gave me 13.5 volts from alt - - while negative terminal was disconnected -

any ideas... please

anything else I should test?

btw - 67k

thanks
chris

T

twitchy

You haven't spiked the putey have you??? gotta be REAL careful when jumpstarting bloody new fandangled car thingies with computers.:cool:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo