Defender 110 Resale Value Risk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

piekas

Reaction score
Newbie here. If Land Rover were ever to decide to import a Defender to the U.S. again (say in 2013 when the new Defender is out), are the folks paying big dollars for old defenders (say $70k for a fully restored 1993 NAS) going to take a beating? Even at a lower level, $20k for 110s from the early 80s. How risky of an investment are these cars?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum... anyone that spends that kind of money 70k for a 1993 will lose lots of money... it will not hold its value in my opinion, but then again I think it is crazy that the 1997's (last year of the D90 in the states) still sell for what they cost new...

kingfishgrapeja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not familiar with the defender but that sounds like a classic blown CV joint. Look for grease all over the inside of your left front wheel.

TS888

Reaction score
"Investment" and "Car" are two words that have emptied the wallets of many a punter. Ask anyone who bought a Ferrari in the 90's...

Chances are a new Defender will be very expensive in the US, and it will be targeted at the luxury car market, with more electromagic controls, power mod cons, etc. The primary buyers of new Defenders in the US will be the Chelsea tractor crowd (or in US terms, the Connecticut tractor crowd). If we're lucky, the rap stars will stick to Escalades.

I'd think the impact would be similar to when Mercedes began officially importing the Gelandewagen to the US. Prices for GWagens all ready in the US didn't fall off the table. US prices still are stronger than ROW prices, and among off-road enthusiasts there are still top dollar trades for good trucks. Grey market imports continue, and those trucks sell for enough to make the importers keep bringing them in. And an added bonus -- as the trophy wives and rap stars move on to the next driveway accessory, there are decent deals to be had on newer GWagens.

Prices of the NAS 110's are stupid high because of the very limited numbers, and they likely will lose some value if new Defenders start coming to the US. I consider myself lucky to know the owners of a couple of the originals that actually get used off road as intended, guys who don't spend any energy worrying about resale value.

All that said, I'd never buy any car as an investment. Cars are tools and toys -- use them, enjoy them, expect them to depreciate. If for some reason the value sticks, feel fortunate.

Lindy

Reaction score
Newbie here. If Land Rover were ever to decide to import a Defender to the U.S. again (say in 2013 when the new Defender is out), are the folks paying big dollars for old defenders (say $70k for a fully restored 1993 NAS) going to take a beating? Even at a lower level, $20k for 110s from the early 80s. How risky of an investment are these cars?

I'd say if you can get a fully restored 93 NAS 110 for 70k, grab it! If you look at say East Coast Rovers, they sell fully restored 93 NAS 110's (300tdi,galv chassy, ect) for $150,000+.
I think there is a used ECR rig right now out in California selling for $125,000. As far as LR importing new Defenders, I highly doubt it.

ellebarto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm from the UK and the market is nothing like that for used Defenders but even so they hold there value like nothing else, especially with the new european laws on the way that will stop the current incarnation being sold here as well.

I had no idea they went for that kind of money in America. I've got a nice 2009 XS spec 110 fully off road prepped. Are they sought after?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Kind of an old post, but basically the stopped importing the Defender to the USA in 1997 so they are around $37k American in good shape. We can import them here if older than 20 or 25 years (I forget which) and they are still in the $20k range after you get them here and someone buys them after you work out any bugs from a 20+ year old Land Rover.

Hobbes

Reaction score
The rule is you can import a 25 year old vehicle or older into the US. Otherwise it needs to pass DOT and emissions and all the other lovely federal laws that have made diesel SUV's in America practically non-existant.

You have a chance of importing a '88 or older Ex-MOD defender for probably $15k all said and done. It's something I've been seriously considering just so I can get a diesel 4x4 so I can run SVO or bio-diesel.

Gringo

Reaction score
I've got two 2006 Defender TDi's here in the Turks and Caicos Islands. A 110 and a 90. Wish I could sell them in the US.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM