defender 90 check engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tadkinson

Reaction score
I have a 97 defender 90 that has a check engine light that stays lit despite numerous trips to the mechanics - none of whom could find the source of the light.

Unfortunately, I can't pass that Calif. smog test with the check engine light on. In the past, the mechanic has turned it off, which gives me enough time to get to the smog test facility and pass. However, I am trying to avoid yet another return trip to the mechanic.

How do you reset this light?

And, as a bonus question, any thoughts on why this indicator keeps coming on - despite everything checking out as normal???

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

tadkinson

Reaction score
check engine light

Unfortunately, it is the 'check engine' light. Thanks anyway.

danshepp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
re: check engine light and indicator staying on

does your defender have a place for diagnostic check if so take it to the garage and have them reset the check engine light/ is your engine running properly? you should also check all the relays and fuses on your defender. the indicator problem. also seems to be a relay problem or bad earth.

tadkinson

Reaction score
yes, I have in the past had a garage reset it. However, since that fix is only temporary, I probably need to reset it in the parking lot of the smog check. Therefore I'd like to learn how to reset it on my own - but it might be that I need specialized equipment to do so.

The engine has otherwise checked out fine, with no blown fuses, etc.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Pick up a inexpensive OBDII scanner and keep it in the vehicle... You never know when you will need one. Plus it will come in handy when you need to reset it or find out what issues are going on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM