Defender 90 engine upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

saxor

Reaction score
Has anyone upgraded their Defender 90 engine? I was thinking of a few options like a supercharger, engine swap, etc... Any suggestions or comments? I am in California. It's hard to get going on the freeway with the current engine.

Thanks for your help.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I have heard of several upgrades to LR's in general. Everything from a performance Rover engine 5.2 liter to a 6.2 liter diesel, and I believe I have read somewhere someone installed a Chevy 350 in one.

Supercharger is not a good option unless you have tons of cash to blow... a good supercharger is 4k, and when it ruins your existing engine you will spend even more money then you could have to buy just an upgrade engine.

j.stobart

Reaction score
Hi it is fairly easy to upgrade the engines on defenders due to the large amount of space in the engine bay. I have seen a 6.2 liter GMC diesel engine in one, and all that is needed is a conversion plate to mate it to the gearbox bell housing, there was one of these engines on ebay last month which sold for $1000.00 I also have a friend with a mercedes 3 litre 6 cylinder engine with the conversion plate which should drop straight in the defender very torquey, and good cruising speeds of 110mph!!

The engine I have just put in mine is a 200tdi from a newer defender, which has made a very surprising performance enhancement.

I also know somebody who has fitted a daimler V8 engine and also attached a supercharger, this thing beats subaru's and evo's from a standing start, and is one of the only trucks I have seen at the quarter mile drag strip sprint!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM