Defender blows a pushrod :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BMGmotors

Reaction score
So I just finished installing a new proline head gasket set in my 1997 4.0 Defender, thought I did a great job putting it all back together. Started it up, ran very well, drove it around for a while, no problems. Went to go get take out later in it and on the way home hear a pow, oil light goes on, and I'm leaving a trail of oil in my path. Shut off engine, pulled over found a hole had been blown in the bottom front of my oil pan, I found a pushrod on the road behind. So has anyone heard of this problem occuring before? Fixes? I just spent a whole week with this entire engine apart and now this is.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boy, I am sorry to hear that, what are your plans now?

BMGmotors

Reaction score
is this something that can be fixed? do I need a new engine?

BMGmotors

Reaction score
I just don't understand why a pushrod would shoot out of my engine after I thought I had put everything back together correctly

BMGmotors

Reaction score
Well anyways, I took the heads off and found where the pushrod came from, the front passenger side cylinder. Also took off the oilpan and found a bent/broken piston rod which corresponded to the cylinder w/ the missing pushrod. By the way the pushrod fell out through the lifter hole after the lifter fell out, I imagine after the camshaft sheared off there, yes I have a broken camshaft too. Otherwise everything else looks normal except of course for the gashes in the oil pan and crankcase. It also appears that the broken pushrod/piston came up and hit the valve/head as there are some gashes on the top of the piston. As for my plans I am getting a brand new 4.6 short block from LR. I'm going to use all the good parts from my old engine (heads, gaskets, intake manifold, headers, etc.) I would still like to know if anyone has any ideas as to what happened especially b/c I do not want to subject my new block to whatever caused all this. Would appreciate any ideas.

antichrist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard to say without actually looking at the engine, but if the cam sheared then a valve could have been left in the open position and hit by the piston, though I think there's enough space in the combustion chamber that that shouldn't happen.

BMGmotors

Reaction score
okay so just thought I would finally give y'all an update, sorry I know it's been awhile. I think what happened was that sometime before having replaced my head gaskets the engine "hydrolocked" from there being too much coolant in one of the combustion chambers; I just kept cranking the engine and using starting fluid until it started. I believe this bent one of the rods so finally one day after having finished redoing the heads and having driven the Landy around the rod broke, spun around hit the camshaft breaking it causing a piece of the camshaft to get loged in the engine in such a way that it jammed the engine up so that it wouldn't even crank. Consequently one of the lifters fell out of its place, because the cam that it rode on had been busted out by the broken piston rod, got ground into the front of the oil pan by the crankshaft counterbalance thus gashing a hole in it allowing the pushrod to fall out of the bottom of the oil pan (hence the "defender blows a pushrod idea"). Of course the lifter and broken rod also took a chunk out of my crankcase so I had to get a new engine block. Secondly! I managed to find a brand new 4.6L Land Rover block so I swapped that in, kept all the good parts off my old engine (heads, other components, etc.) and now the Landy drives better than ever and I love it again! Another thing! I kept reading all this stuff about how I needed to rechip my ECU because of the longer ****** of the 4.6 vs. the 4.0 and spend +-$1000 on a little ECU chip just so the engine would run better but now I think that's all a bunch of BS! I have not rechipped my ECU and I will tell you those looking to upgrade their '97 D90 to a 4.6, my D90 runs great with the original ECU! Has quite a bit more horses. So all is well with my D90 now, just gotta figure out how to transfer a 4.6 plenum on to my 4.0 Intake manifold so that when I pop the hood it'll actually say what kind of engine it has. Thanks all for the advice & help.

alzerom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hydrolocked but it didn't run rough? Surely if you had hydrolocked BEFORE the head gasket change it should have been running VERY rough no? When you had the heads off doing the gasket change there should have been a huge puddle of water in the bore no? This is a very unusual and puzzling series of events.

Glad you got it running.! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM