Defender cut off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joannahenk

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Our 2004 defender 110 has the nasty habit of cutting off while driving motorway. Ih happend
Occasionaly but as all systems shut down it is pretty scary. It happens mainly when driving around 110 km per hour, let the throttle go a bit and then speed up again. No problems starting again and never problems around town. Several mechanics looked at it. Petrol pump replaced.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like it could be electrical. Does the Tach jump around or the speedometer jump around when it happens?

Joannahenk

Reaction score
Sounds like it could be electrical. Does the Tach jump around or the speedometer jump around when it happens?

HI Joey, thanks for your reply. No, it just cuts out. No warning, no speedometer problem. I was reading some other tech questions in the forum. There was a suggestion it could be coil related or in that direction.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Being a 2004, I would lean toward and electrical issue.

danoz

Reaction score
Hi, I had the same problem in my 300Tdi.

It turned out to be a loose connection on the ignition switch (brown wire) that was turning the car off when I accelerated/braked/went around a corner.

Try removing the instrument panel and jiggling the wires leading into the switch. If you can cause your car to shut off doing this, you have found the culprit.

To fix, I removed the switch, and re-hammered the rivet holding the electrical connector tab onto the switch.

Cheers,
Dan

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635