Diffential grinding/noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CGoodwin

Reaction score
Greetings all,
I have an 05 LR3. I occasionally hear a hard rubbing or even slight grinding noise, presumably, from the differential. This happens early in driving and going around corners. Does not happen every time though. I am careful to follow regular service and no problems have been noticed. Ideas?

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles? I would consider that it might be the wheel bearings since it does it around corners. Hopefully it is, it's cheaper.

CGoodwin

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. It has 120,000 and runs like a champ. I will look into the wheel bearings. Is there a simple test except tearing the wheel apart?

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The test is to lift up the wheel and see if there is any lateral motion in it. However, mine really didn't have any noticeable motion when they started making noise. If they haven't been changed, then my bet is that is the problem. For me at about 107,000 miles they went bad. Many do at about the same mileage. Drive another week, it will be obvious. Every time you turn the wheel, you will hear either a grind or squeal noise. It's pretty easy to do yourself, if you're handy at all. Atlantic British has a great video on youtube for it. If you change one, you might as well change them both. Mine went about a week or so apart.

uoflcardfan77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like wheel bearings to me. Mine was doing the same thing and I had new hubs and bearings installed and the noise went away. I bought the Timkin ones from British Atlantic. I found them on another web site cheaper and they matched the price plus took an additional 5% off.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM