Disbelief that Xenon/LED’s are only available on a $9,565 package?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you see the ones for the lr3? Much, much better. The Disco wasn't so bad when compared to it's peers though. I think it was the car to car crash done in Europe that was so bad. It's in that string of videos "Renault vs Discovery"

Thanks for posting this link. It's something people ought to know more about.

In the lr3 crash, front hoof view, it's amazing to see the seats and center console all shift away separately from the body of the lr3 - amazing, but weird too.

DennisL

Reaction score
In searching the lr3 crash video I found the Renault one:

YouTube- Renault Espace vs. Land Rover Discovery crash test

Wow! I liked using children dummies for the tests, great idea. The above is very revealing. However, setting up all different vehicles crash scenarios would be a enormous challenge.
One thought would be is to have a search-able web site of vehicle crashes with injuries. It could report available data (police accident reports, pictures, and video).

Do you think the auto industry would support it???

Thanks for the info,

Dennis

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A database of real life crash results would be great but I trust the auto industry would be secretly lobbying to quash any such possibility.

Maybe the ole' disco isn't so bad but that Renault video sure makes you wonder. The lr3 sure feels like you could hit just about anything and be pretty much ok. The extra cabin space around you must help too as the car parts aren't as close to your body as in the Disco s up to 04. I like the snug feel of the Disco but it simply isn't as safe.

holygrail

Reaction score
Xenon stand alone option

Then my $59K HSE Lux Plus isn't special any more is it?

It's so that people who likes to buy fully loaded models feel special and exclusive. Many car manufactors do that. They tie up certain options in a package and make some options only available on top of the line model.

When it comes to buying cars, there are two type of buyers. 1. who buys car with options they only need. 2. Who buys top of the line with every option whether needed or not. I am the latter type. :proud:

When I considered LR4, it has to be HSE lux plus with all the bells and whistles like folding mirrors, tow assist and surround camera. If the car had optional $2500 rear entertainment system and $2500 20" wheels, I would have gotten them too.
And it makes me feel good that mine is different then average LR4s out there :biggrin:

But seriously, I consider any car over $20K a luxury and waste not a neccessity. If you are buying a $50K car/truck, why not go all the way and get a loaded one for $60K. Few bucks more per month.

For the 2010 LR4's, you can get the Xenons or Surround Camera System as a stand alone. My original order was the 2011 LR4 HSE Plus with Xenons and Surround Camera system...until the dealer found out that the 2011 models got rid of the HSE Plus and LUX Plus. Now I'm back in the negotiation phase because I have no choice to upgrade to the LUX package if I want all the options in the HSE Plus pkg. Sucks b/c now I have to dish out $3000-4000 more just to get the same options for the 2011.

Therefore, for the 2011 models, Xenons are only offered on the LUX packages. I know sucks. BTW, BMW and Mercedes Benz offer the Xenons as a stand alone. BMW includes the Xenons if you get certain options now, but you can still get them separately.

V/r,
Chris

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has anyone figured out if there are leds on the plus model housing? or if hid-kits are compatible? as per manual you are required to remove grill and light housing just to change a bulb. seems like a hassle.

tjp74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can almost guarantee you that if your car wasn't equiped with this feature, LED bulbs won't be in the headlight simply waiting to be connected. There are seperate part number for one with and one without LEDs.

Changing buibs can be a hasle for some people but as I stated before, you can remove both headlights under a minute if you practice enough. It's really easy to remove them.

holygrail

Reaction score
Editing my statement: Xenon stand alone option

For the 2010 LR4's, you can get the Xenons or Surround Camera System as a stand alone. My original order was the 2011 LR4 HSE Plus with Xenons and Surround Camera system...until the dealer found out that the 2011 models got rid of the HSE Plus and LUX Plus. Now I'm back in the negotiation phase because I have no choice to upgrade to the LUX package if I want all the options in the HSE Plus pkg. Sucks b/c now I have to dish out $3000-4000 more just to get the same options for the 2011.

Therefore, for the 2011 models, Xenons are only offered on the LUX packages. I know sucks. BTW, BMW and Mercedes Benz offer the Xenons as a stand alone. BMW includes the Xenons if you get certain options now, but you can still get them separately.

V/r,
Chris

I stand corrected. I finalized my order at a different dealership. I wanted the Xenon's but couldn't afford the LUX package. The dealer included the Vision Assist package which included the Xenons with Auto-leveling function, Automatic Highbeams, and Surround Camera system for $1,800 on HSE and $1,200 for LUX. It used to be that you can order the Xenons for $600-900.

I locked my deal in for $53,128. The sales advisor is a good man. He gave me a break since I'm currently deployed Afghanistan. He comes from a military family. For that price I'm getting a Santorini Black 2011 LR4 HSE (7-Seat Comfort Pkg standard) w/ Climate Pkg, Vision Assist Pkg, and HD Pkg. I got it at $!,000 over invoice...all options also at invoice. The only thing I want is the Mood light, but I'm not willing to get a LUX just for that.

V/r,
Chris

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM