Disco 2 Fluid everywhere

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

panhandlinmonk

Reaction score
Bought a 2000 Disco 2 about a month ago. I noticed fluid under the transmission and it is all over the place in the general area? Also these codes came up: p1884, p0102, p1668. It has stalled out, and seems to struggle shifting at times? Any thoughts or knowledge would be helpful. Thanks

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have to ask why your truck is running bad when there is ATF everywhere? And worse yet, you are still driving it!
The 102 amd 1884 are for a failed MAF. How familiar are you with this truck, or do you have a goos mechanic.
Whatever you do, quit driving it before you burn up your tranny and have to buy a new one.

penguinpwrd

Reaction score
Ignore Mike - he needs a hug.

As was said, your MAF sensor seems to have lost it. This is the mass air-flow sensor that is connected to your intake system. It amounts to a large piece of hard plastic tubing that has a plug connected to it that is in the path of the air intake hose leading to the plenum. Here's a link to the replacement part: http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/ERR7171G.cfm

As far as the fluid is concerned, you should avoid driving the vehicle until it can be diagnosed. If you're motivated, you can use some shop towels to clean up the transmission and xfer case so that there is no longer goop all over it. Then, drain the transmission and add fluid to it to spec (usually 6-7qts, but double check) so that you know how much is in it. Keep an eye on it to try and discover where it is leaking. This will likely be difficult after you've driven it, because the air flow will move the leaking fluid everywhere.

You can then drive it to a mechanic, but no further, and probably not for more than 30 or so minutes, depending on how quickly you are losing fluid.

Good luck.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A hug might help. Hey, bottom line we both said the same thing, I just get upset with people who don't think and would like to put them all back on a Bike till they take the time to gain a little working knowledge regarding the vehicle they are driving.

panhandlinmonk

Reaction score
So it was not atf fluid. The valve covers are leaking bad. But the guy I know says to get the transmission looked at. I did not drive it far only about five miles. Why would it just shut down though while driving?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The valve covers can sometimes just be tightened, they tend to vibrate loose, and normally don't need to be replace which is what the shop will probably tell you you need.
So, how many miles do you have on that 2000, when was the last major service performed, have you had the front drive shaft rebuilt/replaced, they all fail, how about your upper radiator hose, has it been replaced, where is your bleed screw located, molded into the hose or on a black plastic tee.
These are all important for you to answer.

panhandlinmonk

Reaction score
118000 miles, I do not know when last major service was done. I have found your post on it, and will start going through the steps. I have not had the front drive shaft rebuilt/replaced
I will get back to you on the radiator hose.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4