Disco II SE 2001 Hard to Turn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

discoloco

Reaction score
Hello all, just got a Disco II SE 2001 in Dec 2010. First ever.

Aside from minor cosmetic/mechanical issues (plus the 3 amigos) which I already dealt with, the truck had been working fine . . . until the weather turned significantly colder in January (I am in NY state).

The Disco II has been getting harder and harder to turn. Not just a bit of an arm effort, it requires a substantial effort nowadays.

I am generally traveling during the week, and just get a chance to drive the truck during the weekends. Have no mechanical experience, but willing to learn and invest some time in the car; already have been doing that.

I already read about (a) checking the fluid level, (b) replacing the ps fluid + adding lucas ps stop leak, (c) replacing the belt. Should I go through these options in any particular order? Should I look at something else? :confused:

The ps reservoir has a dual compartment, fluid is amber in color.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
first welcome to the forum.

second... check level is first, second with the Disco running do you see the PS fluid moving in the reservoir?

discoloco

Reaction score
Liquid was moving in the reservoir, indeed.

Level was low, added lucas ps stop leak plus brought fluid to correct level.

The hard turning stopped, but clearly there is a leak; I have had to add fluid with some frequency. I should be able to check belt and hoses this weekend.

multicar

Reaction score
start the thing and look under the air intake hose from airbox theres two lines under attached to the steering box probably leaking from front line get both big & little brown o-rings and replace them or you can try to bend the bracket a little to hold more presure on the lines but dont try to over tighten the 10 mil bolt it wont help i just went through the same thing and got o-rings but didnt help looked at bracket and saw that it was bent just a little up so it didnt hold down the lines fully in the box

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boye1