Disco Upgrades (Wife got upset)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Well last week I did some work to my '97 Disco and my wife as normal did not take it well.

I removed the tube type running boards (listed in classifieds), then I installed with help a set of RTE sliders w/ Nerf bars. Did basic maintenance, changed oil, plugs and lube. Then I installed the AirForceOne cold air intake from ( http://www.roveraccessories.com/airforceone.htm ) Next items on the list are to install my Duel Electric Fan set up from Flex-a-lite and upgrade the ECU...

I am glad I already own the Fan setup.... the ECU is going to upset her again. Plus I need new tires for my 15" steel wheels...

someone must be in my shoes on here as well :musicus:

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain, I am not even allowed to remove the lower fog lights w/ plastic air foil under the bumper...I think that it is my fault though, I have shown her my hand too many times in the past, I have lifted the last two vehicles she has had, and made "adjustments"... for reasons I can't understand, she is not really excited about pulling up to the office in lifted, loud, muddy, off-road monster, especially in a skirt. So being that I got her the rover because she had become unhappy with a 6" lifted grand cherokee, I get the "don't even think about it" look when I start to mention rover mods.

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That does not mean that I don't have other toys in the garage, and in storage....

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Oops, I forgot I also have a local Fabricator making me a custom front bumper.

She already complains a little about the sound (headers with a flowmaster 40)

Toys I know that feeling too... I enjoy R/C items...

Currently 3 built Airplanes, 1 Helicoptor, 1 (1/8) buggy, and 1 (1/8) monster truck. Not built or still in box, 2 airplanes, 1 buggy.

Plus I have a honda rebel (christmas gift from a friend) and a Bombardier Traxter XT ATV.

Wife drives a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan, so she doesn't mind too much, she just complains that I keep spending money.....

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Sorry Joey .... That is why all my applicants fill out a questionnaire. Usually it entails questions like how do you feel about "extra" cars in the garage (PORSCHE *BIG GRIN*); Do you like Range Rover's? Ect ect .....:deal:

I am only kidding (sort of)

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is why my dad and I went together and built a 5000 sq. ft. shop/ storage building in the country... to store (hide) our our toys. I am currently working on a JD Gator project which should result in a full suspension gator with a 3-5" body lift. Nothing says father-son bonding like hiding things from your mom and wife :) Just kidding, but there is something to say about out of sight, out of mind.

Ares

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to sell most of my toys prior to going to med school. Now all I have is my Disco and one 67 GTO left. The goat is in storage back home in Alabama, so the Disco is my only outlet for stress relief. Well, I also play a little tennis but cant find anyone around here decent enough to hit with.

But, from my 10y experience in marriage: Its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

The steps were the first thing to go on my rover. I sold everything that I took off on ebay and used the money for the mods. Of course it never is enough.

I always try to take the family on the short outings. Like the LR Charleston ride we met you at Joey. My girls had a blast. We need to get that dealership to do another soon. It would be nice to see the LR3s out in the woods.

Joey, you missed a fun trip to Natural Bridge a couple of weeks ago. You should have seen me explaining the winch on my truck 2 days prior to leaving. Then explaining the huge pin stripe that kinked the front fender and rear quarter when I returned. Oh, and it took $10 and 6 hours to clean the truck up.

Get the family involved. My wife doesnt understand my passion for trucks and fast cars, but her dad was the same way and somehow she just lets it go. Somedays its harder than others. I have to sometimes remind myself of my priorities.

****, this medical school is really interfering with my extracurricular activities.

Ares

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which reminds me Joey. We are planning another trip to Natural Bridge/Red River Gorge on 2/26. Tentatively, we are planning on getting there around 9-11a and wheeling till dark, then camp, then wheel out of the woods and go home. Here is the campsite. Its a cave that you can drive the trucks into and set up tents. Should be a blast. I probably wont take the kids cause some of the cliffs are spooky. It would be a good trip to test out those sliders!

Attachments

• DSC02049.JPG
    DSC02049.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 282

Ares

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im a postin fool today! Tell me why the air intake? Looking for more power? Are you gonna drag race that thing or wheel it. Last time I saw you the truck sounded like a stroked small block chevy rippin throug the woods. I would be worried about water getting sucked up that filter during a water crossing or any type of water that would splash up there. The airbox in the factory location buy the fans not only allow water access during dipping the front, but the fan sprays water right to the air horn. The reason I mention this is that I am trying to reroute my intake toward the firewall to avoid this delimma and avoid having to explain a snorkle on my truck.

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats a really cool cave, Here in Kansas we are lucky if we can find a tree to camp under :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM