Disco won't crank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C

ccjim

Have have a 98 Disco 1, 60k miles, for about 6 months. About three times over this period the truck has refused to crank...always when my wife has it about 400 miles from home. Then after a period varying from 10 minutes to half an hour, it would start. Then last night it happened after when she pulled in to gas up. After getting filled, just wouldn't turn over. No solinoid click, no nothing. Plenty of juice, all the dash lights, fans, radio etc all work fine. Tried jiggling the shift lever-no joy. Let it sit a couple of hours, still nothing. About the only common thread is that it happens after the car has been driven-at least it hasn't happened in the driveway yet. But it isn't the typical hot start problem because it doesn't crank. Ideas anyone...thanks.

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am guessing that it doesn't think it is in park.

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it won't crank at all though, and then does...I think it has a bad neutral safety switch, have you tried starting it in neutral when this happens?

C

ccjim

Yeah, tried park and neutral...thats what jiggling the shift lever was about. No luck. Can't see why a bad fuel pump would cause it not to crank unless there is some weird interlock. What else is between the neutral safetyswitch and the starter solinoid? Not the computer, I hope! Could the anti-theft system be hosed? Or is that just software on the computer?

D

discomike

I would start with checking all the connections to the starter, cables, connections and if need be the starter itself. The neutral saftey switch is certainly able to cause what you are experiencing so check all the connections. There is no connection to the fuel pump or it's relay and the starter so you should be able to rule that out.
I would think it is too early for the starter to fail, but if the truck has ever been swimming , it could have some dirt causing it. You might also have a shop do a quick draw test on the starter and see if is pulling too many amps which would be an early sign of a failing starter.
Let us know what you find.
MikeJ.

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe that it is most likey electrical, other thoughts could be a bad ground, failing igntion switch....it could be an alarm issue, don't know enough about how they are hooked into the ignition. You are thinking that it is something that is "resetting" itself because you wait a while and then it works?

C

ccjim

Thanks everyone
My wife just called and said it's the starter. Guess she didn't hear the solinoid click.

D

discoskc

What's the neutral safety switch? Where is it located?

On my Disco, when I put it in neutral and start, it starts, even if it cannot start when in Park.

SKC

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would also check you battery connectors and the little hot wire going to the fuse box...

Mine did this to me when I was about an hour from home and found a bad connection on the battery to the fuse box.... cleaned and replaced and all is well now

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635