Discovery II alternator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whitepr

Reaction score
Can someone tell me how to replace the alternator on my 99 Disco II?
Is there anything more than removing the fan shroud, then the serpentine belt, and the alternator itself? How to I release the serpentine belt? Thanks.

T

tcosson

Get a ratchet or wrench on the bolt on the pulley theat is down and left of the alternator( facing the engine) Pull up on the tool until the belt will slip off of the alternator. The alternator itself has two bolts holding it on as well as two wires on the back to remove. Make sure the battery is disconnected first.

Roverhound

Reaction score
You don't need to remove the fan shroud. Two bolts hold the altenator on. The belt tensioner will release with a clockwise twist on the bolt in the center of the pulley.
There are 2 wires in the alternator itself that have differrent size posts. You can't go wrong.
I got a later model used alternator from a salvage yard for 100 bucks.
Only had 15k miles on it.

D

discomike

Is it a 130 amp alternator, that is what a D2 must have.
Mike J.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Release the tension on the belt (13 or 14 mm using a breaker bar).. via the idler pulley. Belt comes off..then replace the alt. Easy very straightforward. It took me all of maybe 25 minutes.

whitepr

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. Any problem with a Bosch 130 amp alternator?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo