Discovery sport drive position compared to lr4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

katiebee4

Reaction score
I haven't driven a discovery sport before - is the drive position like that of the lr4 where you sit tall and have a commanding view of the hood / area around you?

Thanks!

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may be too dismissive of it but the Discovery Sport is really more like a car that has decent AWD and ground clearance rather than an lr/4 "truck" base made to feel more car-like with better road manners. They are completely opposite approaches in engineering.

Now, that's just the structural and chassis but the interior is just as different with the sport being also more car-like. I'd say the sitting position is more like a Volvo xc70, not even the 90 or maybe at most in between. To me the sport feels more like a slightly bigger Range Rover Evoque.

So, things like the seating position relative to the windscreen and your view over the hood and around the sides from where you sit is VERY different in the LR4. In the LR4 you sit so tall with great visual ability, i.e., "sight lines" whether it's just out front or even to the ground at the corner for tight parking or even turning over your right shoulder to back up while looking out the back windows.

For example, when I back up I put my left foot firmly into the "dead-pedal", then straighten my leg stiff to push myself up higher against the back of the seat, this puts my head near the ceiling allowing me to actually see the GROUND about 6 feet right behind the bumper because of the dip in the rear lower tailgate. I can also see out the side rear windows to stay on the line I want. I can back up fast and confidently steering through obstacles. This would be impossible in the Sport or Evoque designs.

Also, cost wise, there is almost zero reason to consider the Disco Sport against a 2013 or older LR4 as the price is either the same or higher on the Disco Sport which in most ways that really matter, an inferior vehicle.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Katie, what are your 4-10 year plans or needs for the next vehicle to "accomplish" for you?

There may be a few key elements that would instantly narrow this decision process or at least rule out certain segments of the market.

For me, here are a few examples:

Interior space: I haul heavy or bulky stuff or people, so for me, any of these cool "crossovers" become irrelevant. They don't have the volume, length, or safe payload ability. The cool bonus inside the LR4 is the flush/true flat folding seats. This is key. Choose today to carry 6 or 7 people in actual comfort and tomorrow you could bring home 5 new full size snow tires mounted on an extra set of wheels, with room to spare. In fact, 5 tires/wheels would fit with 2 people in the 2nd row and the LR4 can carry that amount of weight safely with almost no loss of handling feel.

Basically, the Disco Sport is zero comparable on the interior over any practical issues.

Solid Chassis: I do not tow a trailer "often" but I have a tandem cargo trailer and also like the "ability" to be able to tow something heavier later like a travel trailer or larger moving U-haul. It's like my travel pants having side "cargo" pockets. I may not use it while going out to dinner but when I wander around photographing, I'll use them to hold a lens filter or something, maybe a snack ;)

chinochulo

Reaction score
If the LR4 seating position is your standard, then the Discovery Sport seating position is much worse (car-like), but still better than the horrible Evoque (entombed). The new XC90 is a lot better than the Discovery Sport but not the LR4. I have sat in each of these vehicles with the seat raised as high as it will go. Unless you purchase a G-class you will not find another production vehicle on sale with the same field of view from the driver's seat.

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you purchase a G-class you will not find another production vehicle on sale with the same field of view from the driver's seat.

Well, the full size Range Rover actually has quite good and similar seating/view as the LR4. Funny you just forgot that one ;)

The best of all current vehicles available in the US is probably the Mercedes G wagen but only for the view aspect and it's only a close margin with the LR4. I'd say it's even debatable because the LR4 windscreen is a bit larger and the side windows are at least as tall sill to top but I think a bit wider.

The seat adjustment itself though goes to the Land Rover LR4 or the Range Rover by a surprisingly large margin. The G wagen seat actually does not adjust it's position by very much in any of the aspects especially the heights and front edge height in particular. I find the G seat shape/design to be much better, but with less adjustability, it becomes a personal thing pretty quickly with the LR4 and Range Rover fitting a wider range of body shapes and seating position preferences.

This is bizarre though, (right?) because the G550 costs about $117,000 in it's base configuration. Yet you can buy a new LR4 and a new Airstream travel trailer for the cost of one Mercedes G....

chinochulo

Reaction score
You are right--forgot about the Range Rover, although I believe the previous iteration had the better seat position than the current version. The side view out of the previous Range Rover was also slightly better than the LR4. The front and side views (looking out from the driver's seat or rear passenger seat) of the LR4, last model Range Rover, and G-class are the best in my opinion. If you look at current car/SUV design the trend is toward the elevated belt line and small windows especially towards the rear, contributing to a greatly diminished outward view.
One thing about the G class is that it does not feel as airy inside as the LR4 since it does not have a glass sunroof.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you all think about recent model Land Cruisers as an alternative when it comes to seating position? I seem to remember it was decent and because it doesn't have air suspension its normal mode is a bit higher than the LR4. I doesn't have the off road chops of an LR4 but more than any crossover. And its use of interior space remains a disappointment given what could be done, has been done, by others. But if they don't care for the LR4 and don't need the air suspension that may be an option?

jwest, I had to chuckle about your use of the "dead pedal" to backup. It took me a couple of months to discover that move and it has made things much easier. ;-)

chinochulo

Reaction score
Danrhiggins why would you need the deadpedal move? What about your rear camera?

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you all think about recent model Land Cruisers as an alternative when it comes to seating position? I seem to remember it was decent and because it doesn't have air suspension its normal mode is a bit higher than the LR4. I doesn't have the off road chops of an LR4 but more than any crossover. And its use of interior space remains a disappointment given what could be done, has been done, by others. But if they don't care for the LR4 and don't need the air suspension that may be an option?

jwest, I had to chuckle about your use of the "dead pedal" to backup. It took me a couple of months to discover that move and it has made things much easier. ;-)

From what most report, the Land Cruiser sounds like a peer in terms of off-road prowess. It may not have the same wading or hard-core rock crawling ability but not far off overall. I would never buy one because I can stand the Toyota "jellybean" styling, it hasn't been updated for longer than the LR3/4 (!) and, as you mention, the use of interior volume is awful. They do seem to be very reliable and hold their value incredibly well.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Danrhiggins why would you need the deadpedal move? What about your rear camera?

I always back into my garage where the light is not strong enough to pick up on everything. To get it "just right" I need to be able to visualize the current angle of the truck in the driveway, how I was lined up and what then needs to be adjusted. All of that seems easier when I can turn around. Using the camera just feels limited to me - like tunnel vision. Of course at my age and lack of appropriate physical maintenance it can be difficult to just "turn around". So using the "dead pedal" really helps.

Now if I am outside and backing up to my trailer that is different and I do use the camera.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo