Discovery sport drive position compared to lr4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what most report, the Land Cruiser sounds like a peer in terms of off-road prowess. It may not have the same wading or hard-core rock crawling ability but not far off overall. I would never buy one because I can stand the Toyota "jellybean" styling, it hasn't been updated for longer than the LR3/4 (!) and, as you mention, the use of interior volume is awful. They do seem to be very reliable and hold their value incredibly well.

If I had to imagine 7-8 years from now (assuming I will be able to keep the LR that long) the Land Cruiser will definitely be a strong candidate, if not the strongest candidate for us. I'll have to compromise on the interior and the looks and the lack of air suspension. But I will need something that can comfortably pull a 5-6,000 lbs travel trailer and still do moderate offroad exploring (w/o the trailer) and be reliable and give me that elevated seating position. I think there is a better chance that the Land Cruiser will be that vehicle than the to-be-revealed Discovery. But that is a long time away.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course at my age and lack of appropriate physical maintenance it can be difficult to just "turn around". So using the "dead pedal" really helps.

HA! I hear you. :shakehand

Over time I have come full circle as far as my reliance on the backup camera. Never let myself trust the one on my '07 RR but over time (and a few different vehicles) I eventually began to use them especially as they got better with wider field of vision, guidelines projected on the display, and side impact sensors. I still turn around in tricky situations but now I usually just check the surrounding area before I get in and do what is necessary to back out safely. I'm happy with the one in my Landy.

One night some friends were over and our home's parking area was full of cars at cockeyed angles. My son had to leave so I offered to move a friend's car. It was an older BMW X5 without a backup camera. That was a rude awakening running the reverse slalom in the dark and in a strange vehicle! I now appreciate the backup camera even more.

katiebee4

Reaction score
Thanks so much, guys! My husband was complaining about the LR4 price so I thought I'd look at other options but it sounds like from seating position and view, the LR4 is really what I'm looking for.

I sat in a Landcruiser recently and didn't think it compared in terms of seating position - though it was better than some. (And is more $ than an LR4.) The only reason I'd go there is for the local dealership and if I found a great deal but I really, really adore the LR4 so if I'm spending that much $... Might as well get the car I love.

I also really prefer how much more narrow the LR4 is - (body is 76 wide, I believe) - LR now lists 80.5 but I think that's due to the new permanent side steps. Should be easier to park at all of the kids' busy school/activity parking lots than the wider Land cruiser (79), Volvo (79), Tahoe (81), etc.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also really prefer how much more narrow the LR4 is -

I have always been impressed with the LR4's dimensions. When I'm washing it, it feels big. When I need to haul a lot of stuff, it feels huge. But when I drive it, if feels just right, almost athletic. A lot of that has to do with the relatively narrow beam on her...this is not a wallowing, lard-@ss vehicle by any stretch. Very maneuverable in typical urban situations (tight parking spots, lowhanging parking garages--granted I don't have a rack, and regular around-town driving). And as you mentioned, it is very easy to get used to the commanding view.

Good luck with your decision!

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much, guys! My husband was complaining about the LR4 price so I thought I'd look at other options but it sounds like from seating position and view, the LR4 is really what I'm looking for.

I sat in a Landcruiser recently and didn't think it compared in terms of seating position - though it was better than some. (And is more $ than an LR4.) The only reason I'd go there is for the local dealership and if I found a great deal but I really, really adore the LR4 so if I'm spending that much $... Might as well get the car I love.

I also really prefer how much more narrow the LR4 is - (body is 76 wide, I believe) - LR now lists 80.5 but I think that's due to the new permanent side steps. Should be easier to park at all of the kids' busy school/activity parking lots than the wider Land cruiser (79), Volvo (79), Tahoe (81), etc.

Not to steer you away but for accuracy, the Land Cruiser is not "appreciably" wider than the LR4. I am pretty sure that it IS wider but not by much. I measured all aspects once so maybe I'll dig up those notes.

I think the seat itself, can be put into the same sort of positions but it's the shape of the windows and relative height of front dash that make the lr4 seem so easy to view out.

Also, to be sure you're comparing actual $ in reality, Land Cruiser lists for $82,000 and has NO "options" other than choosing your paint and interior colors. Now, the disregard the $82k. It "sells" for $71-$73k all the time even though the first time you go to most dealers they say "oh, that's not really common" etc. Well, of course most of them don't want to just lay down on the first meeting. Yet, some dealers, if you look online, are already advertising at $73k before haggling at all.

Now, a new lr4 with all the options except rear DVD comes in around $70k +/- a bit depending on several options to choose or leave off. To me, the LR4 and Land Cruiser are basically equal in price comparison. Sorry to say but the difference is that with the Land Cruiser, you probably won't actually visit the dealer more than for the oil change and routine checks.

What's actually better about a Land Cruiser? Well, both vehicles have pros and cons but the LC definitely has a few things that an objective person must agree are "better":
-build quality of the chassis and body and drive train components (why in only 100,000 miles do some lr3/4 need new differentials?)
-the LC chassis is rated for higher towing and payload
-ventilated seats in LC. Very nice in summer!
-wider usable cargo area and same height and longer. only problem is to fully utilize that one has to remove the 3rd row seats.
-sunroof opens fully, enough to crawl up through if you felt like it and has a solid sun blocking panel that just works, forever, not the "screens" that we all know pop open on some of our lr3/4.

-5.7 V8 made in japan

-simple 100% reliable steel springs rather than an air suspension.

-much better highway handling but the sway bars disconnect off road for great rugged use by way of the "KDSS" which is a different approach to how LR uses the "cross linked" air suspension. The LR design to me "works better" but it is an item that can fail, has failed, and will really leave you in an annoying situation IF it fails or has a computer glitch.

-resale value on LC is much higher and in perpetuity, so much so that it's not even in the same discussion really.

-Land Cruiser can use a wider variety of wheel and tire sizes with 17" factory being a choice but the LC comes with 18" putting it immediately into a better range of tire choices than the 19 or 20" wheels on the lr4. You can adapt 18" to the lr4 but only with spacers or with a set of $2500 wheels from the UK.
The LC however can use their own 17, 18 or 20 if you want to buy a 2nd set for winter tires. The spare fits under the rear but is accessible more easily.

-The LC automatically comes with a full size spare but LR4 requires the towing "option". LC has all those options as "standard". Full size spare, towing, heated seats and steering wheel, ventilated seats, rear dvd, nav, and some of that apps stuff but you can use an ipad instead these days.

-LC can fit a 33" tire without modifications. lr4 only 31" without any modifications. While you may not care about tire "size" right now, it at least is a future proof idea as well as allowing for a wider tire choice range.

-LC is made to allow running 87 octane fuel.

-Ok, lastly about $... LC is not a vehicle people say "oh, don't own one without a warranty" but LR is the one most people and mechanics say that about, unfortunately ;) LR4 will simply cost you more over 100,000 miles or over 10 years however you want to look at it. So, even if the up front cost on the two is different by $10,000, (like $63k vs $73k) I'd say that after 100,000, the LC is ahead for sure. It's quite possible though that the LC can be the same price up front and it's ahead from the start.

I think you need to drive a Land Cruiser. Since 2013 they are essentially the same so even a used one will give you the sense of how it drives.

ramajama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't driven a discovery sport before - is the drive position like that of the lr4 where you sit tall and have a commanding view of the hood / area around you?

Thanks!

They are night and day different. My wife loves her Disco Sport. I like it too but Id rather have the LR4 for me. :) Since we can't have both, we opted for the Disco Sport because it was a compromise..mostly in my wifes favor. :) She wanted an SUV, but not a big, boxy SUV. She likes the size, the ride and the driving position better because its just more....sporty. Despite what people may say...yes, its much more carLIKE than an LR4, but its still faaaaaar from driving a car..
The room inside does defy its size. Theres alot of room in there.
Its got some offroad chops and itll be great in bad weather, but this thing will NEVER see a real trail so the AWD capability that it does have will be fine.

In the end the best I can describe it as, is kind of like driving a small RR Sport or a bigger RR Evoque. :) But again, its nothing like a LR4.

Good luck!

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what most report, the Land Cruiser sounds like a peer in terms of off-road prowess. It may not have the same wading or hard-core rock crawling ability but not far off overall. I would never buy one because I can stand the Toyota "jellybean" styling, it hasn't been updated for longer than the LR3/4 (!) and, as you mention, the use of interior volume is awful. They do seem to be very reliable and hold their value incredibly well.

Look, yes, we love our Land Rovers but things might as well be stated accurately rather than through our emotions ;)

The LR4 does not have any more "********* rock crawling ability" than the Land Cruiser and the wading depth is basically the same. Unfortunately, I'd choose the Land Cruiser if I were going to really beat the hell out of the vehicle. It's simply got higher grade parts and materials where it matters most.

As for styling timeline, you got that backwards, the Lr4 looks basically like a 2005 LR3 unless you are really into noticing the details like myself and likely you. The Land Cruiser current body style had it's own "refresh update like the LR3 to LR4 starting with 2013. The current LC model J200 started in 2008 so you can actually say the LR4 is older because it's model change was really not in the body shape but more in the engine/transmission and some interior trims.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A vehicle is an emotional item for many people. I agree with everything you have said about the LC but at the end of the day I don't like the current styling, I dont like the colors of the interiors and I don't like the overall aesthetic of the way the interior is presented. In that price range I think you need to have an emotional attachment to your vehicle or what's the point?

It seems like katiebee has found that connection with the LR4. I hope it works out for her!

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A vehicle is an emotional item for many people. I agree with everything you have said about the LC but at the end of the day I don't like the current styling, I dont like the colors of the interiors and I don't like the overall aesthetic of the way the interior is presented. In that price range I think you need to have an emotional attachment to your vehicle or what's the point?

It seems like katiebee has found that connection with the LR4. I hope it works out for her!

Well that's very true. Hence the whole damn reason I ended up in freaking Land Rovers to begin with!! RAAAAAARRRRR. ;)

My first was a slightly used 1996 Discovery I in 1999. After 200,000 miles I got a Supercharged Range Rover, white with ivory/black, so awesome but not enough functional space for me so sold it privately lucking out only losing $5000 in 6 months!!! That color combo was practically non-existent at the time so rarity helped a lot. Then bought a 2006 Land Cruiser, really did like it but ultimately the LR3 won me over for function of the interior and the view out of it. It had some problems so let it go, got a 2004 Discovery II so that I'd have one of the last of that style. Then additionally bought a 2007 LR3 which I spent $25,000 up front modifying for extended travels. Now it has 105,000 miles. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dimitricourmousis