DIY: Key Fob Body swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vietec

Reaction score
When I picked up my car, the key looked like it was microwaved, and being abused by the BMW key system (where even the battery on my E46 M3 key is molded in) I wastickled pink that not only was the battery easily replaced with a common battery, but the shell was easily replaced as well. What's more: The cost of the body from LR was all of $16 shipped. I searched and couldn't find a picture thread, and all of the videos looked like they were filmed on the highest quality Russet potato, so I ventured to record my experience changing the body.

Necessary parts:
-Old key
-two small slot head screwdrivers (one will do, two makes it easier)
-Part LR052882

DSC_1364_zpsxsyumwpr.jpg

I used the new key shell to figure out where I should pry to separate the pieces. You'll note that there are little tabs where the red arrows are pointing.

DSC_1352%20copy_zpsddzhajbo.jpg

Here's some closer looks as the tabs

DSC_1353_zpsvhyzqw0x.jpg

DSC_1354_zpsagk3cq5j.jpg

First thing you'll want to do is to open the mechanical key tray, the battery tray cover, and the battery, as detailed in the manual:

DSC_1358_zpsd1nrrkzc.jpg

Next, you'll want to pry at those tabs (I chose to pry on both sides at once to work it open), after some finagling, it will come apart. *Be careful as to not damage the grey gasket that lies between the two halves* At this point, all you have to do is transfer the contents from old to new. I kept my key+components oriented the same way as a sanity check. Don't forget the metal catch:

DSC_1359_zpskn6aywvj.jpg

The next bit is a little tricky. The spring and plastic catch that keeps the battery tray cover closed/keeps the mechanical key section in the open position. You'll need to note how these two parts work on your key:

DSC_1362%20copy_zpsqb6c5yg7.jpg

The side that keeps the mechanical key section open has a little wedge you have to pry that plastic catch free from. The other hidden bit is easier to understand with the following picture:

DSC_1361_zps0utkicpc.jpg

Note that the plastic catch has a little nub that rides in this recess. The rest is easy. Do not forget to bring over the gasket, and do not forget to bring over the mechanical key section and battery tray cover (like me :laugh:)

Finally, snap the two halves together, drop the battery tray in and enjoy your "new" key.:cheers:

MGLR4

Reaction score
I did this DIY. Damages one of the buttons when trying to remove the micro scheme, prying with a screw driver. It still looks and works great though. Bought the replacement body on Amazon for less than $20 i think.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done any of the following?

1. swapped boddies on a newer style key fob?
2. Bought new key fobs and programmed them with the GAP IID tool?
3. Swapped or programmed an older chunky style fob on a newer (2013+) LR4?

My 2013 fob is pretty beat up. I like the look and durability of the old fob style.. i have an IID tool and have hear you can program with it.

Would be fun to just have more and/or new fobs too.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72