Does this sound like a legitimate fault?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drew

Reaction score
I'm getting the P codes listed below from the Rear Diff Module. They will not clear, even though my reader says they have cleared.

P-codes

P080A - Clutch position is not learnt
P186D - Clutch actuator stuck

Live Data

Percentage travel remaining on the clutch is 100%
Open differential override status - Active
Differential control override status - Normal

To me it sounds like a short, because the P codes will not clear even temporarily. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Everyone!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I was getting similar faults. It was related to the actuator motor that sits on top of the locker. I wasn't getting a "hard fault" just some sort of message that went away quickly after start up. I got curious and plugged in my IIDTool which returned messages similar to what you posted (which is how I recognized that and asked you about the locker). I had JUST gotten a new rear diff because my clutch packs went **** up and I was hearing a "clanking" sound. Not wanting to take chances, I had the actuator swapped out.

drew

Reaction score
Ahh, I see. Well I guess I'm going to pull it this weekend and see what's up with it. I bought this LR3 in December and have already dropped $3500 into it (transmission replacement, relays, brake switch, etc.), not looking to spend anything else right now lol

So, I was getting similar faults. It was related to the actuator motor that sits on top of the locker. I wasn't getting a "hard fault" just some sort of message that went away quickly after start up. I got curious and plugged in my IIDTool which returned messages similar to what you posted (which is how I recognized that and asked you about the locker). I had JUST gotten a new rear diff because my clutch packs went **** up and I was hearing a "clanking" sound. Not wanting to take chances, I had the actuator swapped out.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I don't know that you'll be able to see any issues with it. It's an electronic motor...not sure how serviceable it is.

You had to replace then entire tranny, eh? That sucks. How did that one sneak past you at time of purchase??? Or did you negotiate the price based on knowing that?

drew

Reaction score
It sounds as if the actuator is engaging when I put the key in, and then trying to engage again after I start it. It might just be the splines themselves that are screwed up from the actuator trying to "double engage" not sure why it would do that though.

I bought it as-is knowing that it needed work.(had 3 amigos already on) And I forgot my reader at the house (150 miles away). So I screwed up and bought it anyway. Turned out that it needed a transmission and not just a simple fix. When I have some spare time, I'll probably rebuild the original tranny and either sell it or keep it as a spare.

Yeah I don't know that you'll be able to see any issues with it. It's an electronic motor...not sure how serviceable it is.

You had to replace then entire tranny, eh? That sucks. How did that one sneak past you at time of purchase??? Or did you negotiate the price based on knowing that?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9