Drivers window only moves 2"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swilmarth

Reaction score
01" Disco II 78,000 mi....drivers side window only drops 1-2" and sometimes wont come back until I toggle it 5-6 times. I took the door panel off and felt around...could not find anthing with my hand but it is so tight I can barely even see in. Any tips on getting into the door or even knowing what the problem is? Thanks for the help in advance

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Window regulator

01" Disco II 78,000 mi....drivers side window only drops 1-2" and sometimes wont come back until I toggle it 5-6 times. I took the door panel off and felt around...could not find anthing with my hand but it is so tight I can barely even see in. Any tips on getting into the door or even knowing what the problem is? Thanks for the help in advance

This sounds to me like a window regulator motor. Unfortunately The whole window regulator assembly needs to be replaced. It’s not too expensive, around $180.00. Sometimes the plastic wheels disintegrate in the tracks, but Land Rover only sells the whole assembly. Once you pull of the door panels, they are easy to replace. Be very careful not to over tighten the bolts on assembly, they are steel bolts threaded into aluminum, and it doesn’t take much to strip the threads. It’s also a good procedure to disconnect the wiring from the motor before removing it.

If you need pictures on how to repair the wheel if you feel like doing it yourself, please let me know, This is how I fixed mine months ago:

http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11608

I hope this helps………. Chongo
:bandit:

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If it is the plastic wheels in the tracks, I have heard of several people that just make there own wheels at a cost of less than $1. Not sure if this is the case for you or not.... but if you have to tear it apart, why not try cheap first.

97rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Made my own wheels out of with solid poly tubing pick up at fastenal. I cheated and used a CNC Lathe. But anyone can use a simple Dremil and do the same job. Bought the unit buy the foot I beleive I paid $5.00.

Reaction score
does this only happen in the cold weather? I have had a similar problem since winter. I lubed the guides on the door and it has stopped since. I believe what was happening with mine was the window was sticking in the guides. trying to jam it while it sticks may compound the problem

Brownie92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you are engaging the window switch can you still hear the motor running inside the door? even though the window is not moving. I had the 1/2 moon gear break off of the regulator assembly. It is only spot welded in three places once one weld failed and the others loosened up the window would only go down a few inches and the the gear would disengage from the motor. The motor would run but the window would not move. Finally the last weld broke and the window fell into the door. Not an impossible fix... I removed the whole regulator assembly/ moon gear and clamped it together in its orginal position (vise grips) then I drilled out the spot welds. I countersunk the holes and used grade 8 flat heat socket cap bolts to hold the whole thing back together. It been working for almost two years. An a whole lot cheaper than a new reg.

cameroncorral

Reaction score
just had two rear windows fixed and i originally thought it was motor or regulators. found out it was was just the nylon wheels. had a friend replace them with metal washers and everything worked. he did a little welding and presto! dont know if all that was necessary but it definately beats $180 x 2 just to fix some nylon wheels. hope this helps anyone.

p.s. sadly i had alreadly purchased two motors and one regulator:hmpf:

perhaps i will be doing some trading in the future!:proud:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635