Driving in Sport Mode all of the time - bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As all of the others have said...it will not hurt your truck, but it will hurt your mileage if you are not doing stop and go driving. It does two basic things...It increases the rpms of the upshift point making you think you have more power...it prevents the 6th overdirve gear from engaging, again giving you quicker kick responsiveness to your throttle. You will note that sport mode works only in Highway mode, and in another other Terrain Response mode, it changes to manual shift.

There are probably some minor issues in the fuel injection timing as well, but that is the mileage part.

Frank_ws6

Reaction score
yup there's a huge difference (maybe I notice it more on my V6). The engine comes ALIVE in sport mode!

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use it all the time and notice a significant difference. (I like it!)
My gas mileage seems on par with the higher estimates that people post, so I don't think it has a noticeable negative effect.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive sport mode a lot with confidence.On few trips though,coming back home from up state NY I was getting reduced engine performance message while driving in sport mode,sometimes when switching back to D transmission does not come down from higher RPMs for a while than the massage pups up.Also' on my recent trip to Maine last week ,actually going back to NJ ,through coastal Maine route 3 with lots of hills and valleys using sport mode I observed that tranny down shifts by itself a lot driving downhill, it does not happen in normal D.After a 100 miles of driving in sport I have got "reduced engine performance' massage and shortly after "check engine light "came off.Temperature gauge is always fine , no lost power eight er,although when approaching parking lot in Freeport ME my car suddenly stalled . After a soft re-start light and message was still on , but with no ability for service or car rental(Saturday night) I decided to proceed with slowly driving back home,scared shitless ,by the way.No sport mode this time.Check engine light stayed on for most of the entire Sunday then magically disappeared at evening hours along with RP message.Not sure if it is related but that is what I am getting in Sport mode,like the mode a lot by the way.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really doubt that it had anything to do with the use of Sport Mode.

ChuckD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use it when pulling my 6,000lb trailer. Works great!

ChuckD

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635