Dual Battery Install with Traxide 160

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

newthings

Reaction score
Second Battery--
Sears Platinum Group 34 Sears Item# 02850034000 | Model# P-1
A dual post Marine Version is also available for the same price. $219.
I had to cut the plastic ribs in front of the battery box and notch the inside rib to clear the Sears Group 34 battery.
The metal LR hold down supplied by Traxide is for the Land rover style battery, which also works with the Optima. The raised portion does nothing and the width is too small for the Sears/Odyssey.
A new clamp needed to be made. I used a plastic scrap channel.
I added a 4 Ga. utility pigtail with a 50 amp Anderson connector directly to the battery.
I added a 30 amp Anderson connector directly to the battery and attached a LED light strip to the fender well.
I added a CTEK battery charger socket to both batteries for easy attachment of my CTEK battery charger.

Traxide 160 Mounting--
The Traxide mounts inside the (RtHD) battery box.
The supplied positive cable comes across from the starting battery and enters the new battery box in a slot near the firewall. The supplied short positive cable drops from the positive terminal of the Aux battery to the Traxide module. The aux battery ground goes to the stock ground post near the firewall. Mount the display box on the dash, hook up the 4 wires and read the LED decoding flashes.

Cabling the power to the rear area--
I wanted to be able to disconnect the rear power service near the source battery. I used a small marine switch (240 amp) made for two batteries. All of the wires are positive so the proximity is not an issue. The switch is mounted on a 3/8” plastic plate screwed to the area in front of the battery box. I wanted to be able to send high current to the rear if I ever use a winch and also be able to have a fused mode for normal use. I added a 100 amp resettable marine breaker (Buss) by putting the breaker across the two output posts on the switch. The breaker is bolted next to the switch. Think of this as constructive misuse of a component. The removable side covers on the switch allows access to the ¼” output posts. The 2 Ga. positive wire run to the rear, goes here. The positive wire from the Aux. battery goes to the switch input. The 2 ga. Ground wire goes to the stock ground post. I now have the choices of OFF, position 1 for unfused power to the rear and position 2 for fused power to the rear.

Cheer, Roy

Attachments

• batmod1.JPG
    batmod1.JPG
    690.5 KB · Views: 63
  • batmod2.JPG
    batmod2.JPG
    716 KB · Views: 61
  • bat1.JPG
    bat1.JPG
    753.1 KB · Views: 71
  • trax1.JPG
    trax1.JPG
    887.5 KB · Views: 61
  • sw1.JPG
    sw1.JPG
    841.5 KB · Views: 61

MilehighLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nicely done, I'm considering something similar as my project moves forward.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
like the battery cut off setup

The link below shows how I did something similar, the main difference being I used a smaller Euro style battery, (Made in USA), hence the suppled LR battery tie down worked so I did not have that to fuss with or grind out the plastic angles.

I also did the CTEK thing and have found it to be quite handy. At least twice a year I condition the batteries and if the mood strikes me, just connect to top up the batteries, particularily in the winter.

I did not run any power to the rear so my setup is simple compared to above; am particularily impressed with the power cut off to the rear feature. I think that is a good idea given the amps that can flow. the purpose of my install was just to provide additional power for normal driving - no winch, no fridge or other added kit.

http://www.**************/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=3738

Insert disco3 co uk where the *** are and put a period in each of the two spaces.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72