Excessive play in steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

sunking101

Hi all, nice site!

My truck is due for MOT tomorrow and I'm thinking it's going to fail on the steering. There is about an inch and a half of play at the steering wheel which contributes heavily to the vehicle wandering all over the road. Is this a ball joint problem or can it be rectified by tightening the steering box adjuster? I've read about this but don't know if it's the cure to my exact problem and as it's so hard to get to I thought I'd better ask first! Thanks.

T

tuko

Well, lets remember, you have 6 ball joints ( tie rod ends ) from the steering box to the tires. any one or a combination of them all or a few will cause the excessive play. First, check and replace worn tie rod ends. Then adjust the remaining play that is in the steering box.

Godd luck with the MOT.

Todd.

S

sunking101

Thanks for the reply. It failed the MOT on track rod ends (ball joints), the brakes apparently don't work in synch and a wheel bearing. Any idea how they adjust the brakes to get them all pulling evenly?

T

tuko

Adjusting the brakes is easy.

On the backing plate, you'll find an adjusting nut, which turns a cam. Turn the nut clockwise, till the brakes are holding the tire solid, then slacken it off by 2 clicks. Do that all round, then she'll stop evenly. If your unable to ge the brakes to adjust, then the shoes or/and drum may need replacing also.

If you have no idea, when the brakes were changed last, then I would suggest doing it now, certainly worth the time and money.

Todd.

T

tissot75

hey sunking101

I've got a 1979 Land Rover with the same problem. It's been a bit like that for a while; I've kind of got used to driving like a muppet. I've been down the path of tightening the steering box - but all that really does is increase the friction on the steering wheel (ie. making the steering heavier). I think tuko is right, it you want to fix it properly you've probably got to replace the worn ball joints.

Let me know how you go - I'll have to do the same thing before too long.

Tim

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72