Exhaust wraps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i am been sitting this morning, no will to do any work, browsing sites and
started to ponder idea of putting some heat wraps on exhaust manifold and downpipe.

I know that cloth ones may be bad b/c they will allow mosture to sit there and thus increase rusting. But stil.. :)

Anyone got any experience about exhaust wraps?

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
Wraps will cause your manifold to crumble, they should only be used on applications such as race cars that do not drive that much. I forget why the wraps ruin headers / manifolds but they do.

If your really wanting to get heat out, get them coated.

Justin

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Sergei, When I bought the header for my formerly un-named small suv they came w/a lifetime warrenty as long as no wrap or finish was applied. They claimed that in would cause premature failure due to the fact that the heat would not be able to escape the pipe and break it down for that reason! They are aluminum coated, and really pretty for a set of pipes that just carry my hot exaust gasses to the rear of the vehicle! Thank You, LRW.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well thing is - hotter exhaust gas actually is - easier it escapes from system. So whole radiating heat from headers is kind of affecting you in two ways - first it raises up temp in compartment and it also prevents exhaust from working more efficiently.

I know that you can get heads covered inside and out in ceramic finish for like 200$,
but it sort of steepish. I mean manifolds themselves arent cheap for Rover, and adding 200$ with week turnaround is kind of another bitter pill.

Guess when i will set up new ones i just will try to cover them in hi-temp reflective finish meself. And we shall see :)

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sergei, as always, You are 100% correct. Hotter exhaust evacuates faster. And yes, I do now have a hotter engine compartment. But my engine itself runs much cooler than it did before I installed the header. May be part of my O2 sensor problem, as engine may sometimes wonder if it's warmed up or not! I plan to install WRX style functional hood scoop to push more air thru engine bay as soon as I figure out how to channel incoming rain to the "rain drain" located @ rear of hood on the formerly un-named small suv (not j**p). I was also concerned that since I covered most of the bottom of the vehicle w/ a notched piece of aluminum that I would contain even more heat, but hasn't been a problem.....yet! Thank You, LRW.

M

Mark

Any more word on whether the wraps work?

I saw an ad in LandRoverWorld for the wraps. Does Land Rover acknowledge the wraps and/or approve?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Exhaust wraps trap mosture which will rust you manifolds out in a matter of a few years. If you wrap headers I give you 6 - 9 months of daily driving.

I have ceramic coated headers on my Disco and it not only lowered the engine compartment temp, but it runs better too.

After a 5 hour drive, I can open the hood and almost stick my hands on the headers before I notice major heat (80 deg temps - winter is even better) prior to the headers you feel the heat when you open the hood.

D

disco1

I fully agree with Joey. I have ceramic coated headers on both my discos, and, did an initial test on engine bay temperatures, before and after coating. After fitting the coated headers the engine bay temperature had reduced by 50%. This also relates to a slight increase in horsepower as the intake air temperature is lower.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Naah.. i didnt install them. After some consideration i figured that i'd better spend money for coated headers :) Altough i think there is other source than what Joey used. But its gonna be investigated next year, or so.

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had wrapped headers... (only on muscle cars) I had a set on a 69 olds for 3 years and kept reading about how bad they were going to rust out, so I pulled the covers and they were still fine... I drove it in the rain and in the winter...Sergei, your in Colorado, I doubt there would be much of a problem, except for water crossings, basically if it was a car, I think you would be fine...but since it is not...It does help quie a bit or did for me anyway (more than coated) I doubt you will be taking the disco to the track though.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM