Factory OEM Tint Shade %

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JEbmwRX1

Reaction score
In search for a definitive answer... thanks in advance.

After browsing through forums and google searches I cannot seem to find a confident answer in what shade my rear windows are on a 2005 LR3. The front 2 windows are what I need to match to rear, taking into account the minor tint from factory. I have the tools and experience to tint my own vehicle but need to know the shade % to order.

I beleive it is in the range of 20-35%. If you got a % done that is close please share an image.

Thank you.

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has been a while now but I'm 99% positive that the rears were 20%. My tint guy used the meter on the rear passenger window.

I have 12% tint on the fronts and also 12% over the factory tint all around. The fronts obviously aren't as dark as the backs...

Attachments

• 20140612_095255-1.jpg
    20140612_095255-1.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 178

JEbmwRX1

Reaction score
Nice ride! Did you tint the tail lights and side markers or paint?

I contacted a few tint shops on ebay and all came back with 20% also. I believe your correct. My main concern is that the front would look oddly darker than the rear.

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, understand your concern completely! I wanted the fronts to look lighter than the backs for police comcerns although here in Florida it doesn't seem to be a huge priority of theirs. In PA, I was pulled over for tint and had to take it all off which sucked.

My tails have the Lamin-X film that my tint guy put on as well as the side of the headlights. I used the spray tint on the side markers and they came out pretty good.

JEbmwRX1

Reaction score
I'm located in NC and luckily the tint % is not a top concern to the cops either. At least once a day I see trucks with tinted windshields... I wont antagonize the issue to that point and be happy with the sides complete.

Thanks again for the reply. I ordered the 20% precut pieces for the front off ebay and windshield strip. This shop does a precise cut from my previous orders and for $12 bucks I cannot complain for a 2ply film. Lifetime warranty also for fade.

JEbmwRX1

Reaction score
Did you get your windshield visor strip done? I cant decide on a 3" or 4" width. The 4" may be too low for eye sight. 20% shade.

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a bad price at all - good find!

Yes, he did a curved 5% strip on the windshield. 4.5" in the middle and 8.5" at the edge. It does help a great bit with the sun. I would go with the 4" as I have no issues with it impeding my vision line.

Attachments

• 20150210_084701.jpg
    20150210_084701.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 50

JEbmwRX1

Reaction score
looks good, thanks for sharing your setup!

I was hoping to get it cut straight following the upper glass edge/roof line for a different look. I asked the shop if they could do this...

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my front's tinted to match my rears. (sorry, don't know %) I do recall, it was not just the percentage, but also the type of tint. Some match the color better than others. (the cheaper tint is the stuff you see that has kind of a purpleish hue to it)
Like the look and the added privacy.
Sometimes I have to roll down the windows at night when I'm pulling out of a turn and want the best depth perception for oncoming traffic.

Haven't had an issue with police but if I am ever pulled over, I always roll the window all the way down before they get there and just be very polite. ...even if they are a-holes for pulling me over. :)

JEbmwRX1

Reaction score
I would rather have bubbles in my tint than the dreaded purple hue! I have used this seller for 2 other car tint kits and a year later there is no sign of purple luckily. Plus i only keep my trucks for 3-4yrs then sell for a change of scenery. (in the LR family)

They will refund my money if it doesnt match, so hopefully by the weekend I will know. I will post pics....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge