Factory Trailer Wiring Harness Install Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well guys I hate to say it but if you don't pull the bumper skin off you probably won't find the holes in the bumper. I kinda wish I had snapped some pics of mine when it was off for the new rear bumper just so I could post them for people installing the harness. There are indeed two holes in the top of the steel bumper to retain the harness. Best of luck trying to get them clipped down!! The good news is the brackets on your harness should be pretty close to the correct location.

kingfishgrapeja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's the kit I've been using. The tailight does need to pop out but it is super easy. The problem is where to clip the wire to keep it away from the harmonic weights behind the bumper. I didn't really have a problem with where the wire was running and I didn't clip it.

jpljpl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's the kit I've been using. The tailight does need to pop out but it is super easy. The problem is where to clip the wire to keep it away from the harmonic weights behind the bumper. I didn't really have a problem with where the wire was running and I didn't clip it.

Thanks Kingfish. The install does look pretty easy. I just wasnt sure if all LR3's were already pre-wired for the trailer lights/brake controller.

I'm going to look today, but I dont feel like pulling the brake lights just to look.

From your pics and explanation, looks like I'll have a similar problem next weekend.

Not sure if the top of the bumper is a better spot. I stand on my bumper all the time to load up the roof rack.

Let us know if you come up with anything. : )

bscmich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best deal by far is the OEM kit from BPUtah - $95 :

http://www.bputah.com/LR3/Land_Rover_LR3_Trailer_Wiring_Harness_YWJ500220.html

As far as the install goes, very easy overall. The holes for the center 2 harness clips must be on top of the bumper structure as mentioned. No way I am going to take the skin off to clip those in. I'm sure there is another reasonable solution to hold the harness up and over the bumper structure. I have a few ideas and will post after i have vetted them out.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulling the bumper skin is really quite easy. The hardest part is removing the three clips that are under and behind the tailgate. The rest is really easy and it pretty much just snaps in place. There is a bolt hidden by each taillight and 4 screws along the bottom edge. You will have to remove the rear half of the fender arch trim as well. You probably need to clean out the all the junk that has accumulated behind the arches anyway. However just putting a couple of zip ties is just as effective.

jpljpl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up about the BPUtah harness/price.

I saw they also have the best price on the newest model hitch receiver, which is annoyingly $400 (500 msrp).

They dont have a shopping cart though, and the ordering process seems kind of hokey.

Here is the newest receiver. The biggest change it seems is that it doesnt hang down as far, which should make it easier for my application to have a level trailer.

http://bputah.com/LR3/Land_Range_Rover_Sport_LR3_Tow_Hitch_Receiver_KBN500023.html

bscmich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BP Utah is very reliable. The e-commerce experience is a bit lacking but many from this forum including myself have ordered from them. You submit the order form and they email you with the order confirmation, usually the next day. Quick shipping, excellent service and exact products. Very knowledgeable, call them up and they will answer your questions.

I had not seen the new 3rd generation hitch design... interesting. Agreed, the $400 price tag is annoying, actually more like ludacris. Check eBay, the regular hitches brand new sell fairly often in the $200 - $250 price range.

Last edited:

kingfishgrapeja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check craiglist for the hitch. They pop up for 250 all the time out here. I think I paid 375 from one of the online places. Might have been roverparts.com or whichever one is based in Illinois. As for the plugs, they actually are inside the left rear cubby if you want to check them out. I don't use a brake controller so I have no clue as to what you would need to find.

The tail light is literally two screws and a pull from coming out though.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can also vouch for BPUtah. That is where I got my wiring harness just a few days ago. I literally work 2 miles from where the parts are stored, so I have purchased a couple of items (break pads and wiring harness) so far and I plan on buying more. I can just run and pick up the parts after work. Their prices are usually quite good, too.

I bought a hitch receiver and a hitch and ball for $250 on a local classifieds a couple of months ago.

Now, regarding the wiring: I ended up doing a total kludge. I took this route:

wired.png

I actually took the original route (shown in my original pictures) to be able to connect the connectors near the taillight. When I pushed the connected connectors down like the directions direct, I then had enough slack to move the wire into the route I drew in the above picture. I used the clips on the wire to fit into the holes that the route runs through in the picture. Again, a total kludge, but it seems to avoid the weight altogether. The wire does run above the far end of the weight, but the wire is taut enough that it stays about half an inch away from touch the weight when it swings.

When I have some spare time, I'll look at removing the bumper skin and seeing if I can run it "the right way." Unfortunately, I've broken off two of the clips after tugging the wire back and forth so much. It should be fairly simple to fix, though. Thanks for the info Ryan.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulling the bumper skin is really quite easy. The hardest part is removing the three clips that are under and behind the tailgate. The rest is really easy and it pretty much just snaps in place. There is a bolt hidden by each taillight and 4 screws along the bottom edge. You will have to remove the rear half of the fender arch trim as well. You probably need to clean out the all the junk that has accumulated behind the arches anyway. However just putting a couple of zip ties is just as effective.

So it's really easy except for the hard part? Seriously, though, I am looking at the clips under and behind the tailgate right now. (There are four of them, btw.) Any tips on how to remove them? If I let the tailgate part way down it exposes them best, but I have no idea what I would use to try to get to them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99