Factory Trailer Wiring Harness Install Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I beleive with the tire dropped you can get to the back side of them. If you can get at them push the centers out. With my aux tank I couldn't do this. So I just reached in with a long flatblade to pry out the center. I think I took 15 mins to get all four.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Phew, nevermind; I got them. The curvature of the tailgate made it possible to get to the ones on each end with a flathead screwdriver. (They just pop out with a little force.) I couldn't get to the ones in the middle using the same technique. However, the two in the middle are accessible from underneath the vehicle and you can just poke them out from the bottom. Be sure to push up on the actual plastic pin, not the receptacle.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I beleive with the tire dropped you can get to the back side of them. If you can get at them push the centers out. With my aux tank I couldn't do this. So I just reached in with a long flatblade to pry out the center. I think I took 15 mins to get all four.

Thanks, that would have gotten me going in the right direction :)

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So ryan was totally right. The holes are there, and you can access them easily if you remove the bumper skin. I still don't see any way to get to the second one (the one labeled #3 in the pictures below) without removing the bumber skin.

Removing the bumper skin wasn't too bad. It was a bit of a pain, but it made installing the wiring harness correctly quite trivial. Aside from the clips that ryan mentioned (i.e., the ones behind and under the tailgate) that are similar clips behind the fenders. I have taken pictures of where the clip is:

photo%20%281%29.png

And here are some pictures of the actual wiring install. Maybe with seeing where the holes is someone can figure out how to install the wiring kit without removing the bumper skin:

photo%20%285%29.png

photo%20%286%29.png

photo%20%283%29.png

I added my own zip tie on the end near the tail light. It probably wasn't necessary, but I did it just to be safe so that the wire couldn't get anywhere near the weight.

By the way, I couldn't get the second clip in the picture (labeled #3) to fit into the hole. I don't think there is any question that it is the right hole; the clip was just too fat for the hole. I remedied the problem by squeezing the clip with a wrench to make it a bit more narrow.

Last edited:

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a not-so-great picture of the supplemental zip tie I added:

photo%20%282%29.png

And here's a bonus picture showing how the outside of the tail light just pulls straight out:

photo.png

:rock:

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice write-up. Most of the time I don't even think about taking pics for a write up until I am done! For example I have the front strut out which required removal of the fender liner. To get that out you have to remove the wheel arch. To remove that you have to remove the headlight and to remove that you have to remove the grill!!! All that I didn't photograph any of it!!!

Bad Bonez BJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips on getting this job done right. I'm in the process of ordering the harness and all my questions have been answered.

BJ

jpljpl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the pics and the write-up Bean.

I did end up ordering from BPUtah, and spoke to them on the phone. They did seem like really nice guys. I bought the new hitch receiver from them as well. I have seen the Gen II receivers being sold via ebay/craigslist, but never a new Gen III. The Gen III should help me level out my trailer easier, so the extra $ is hopefully worth it. I almost bought a Curt hitch instead, purely on principal.

I pretty much have 0 appetite for pulling the bumper, so I'm hoping their is a simpler way.

Was there no obvious zip-tie / bailing wire solution?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9