Factory Trailer Wiring Harness Install Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2Rovers

Reaction score
I bought the LR3 factory trailer wiring harness and like most posts I have read it was fairly straight forward. The exception is at the end pushing 3 of the 4 clips in in the section from the trailer plug in up to the tail light.

The first clip from the trailer connection is easy, but the next two I can't even see let alone get my hand very far in to feel around. There is also one more at the end by the light, but I have no idea where it goes. I see a white plastic plug it might go into but it seems to small for the clip to fit in (tried several times).

I don't want to just leave it as it may start rubbing against the swinging weight and cause a short, etc. Does anyone else that has installed this know how to get the clips in? I don't imagine anyone else removed their rear bumpers so I am completely stumped how anyone else got this in.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2006 LR3 HSE

kingfishgrapeja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The kit I got from roverparts.com just came with zip ties. I'd just toss a couple of those up there to keep the wire clear.

Last edited:

2Rovers

Reaction score
The kit I got from roverparts.com just came with zip ties. I'd just toss a couple of those up there to keep the wire clear.
What did you zip tie up to? That swinging weight is completely in the way and on the outside edge the muffler tip makes getting two hands in impossible.

Sorry, I guess I'm still not seeing something obvious.

2Rovers

Reaction score
What did you zip tie up to? That swinging weight is completely in the way and on the outside edge the muffler tip makes getting two hands in impossible.

Sorry, I guess I'm still not seeing something obvious.

kingfishgrapeja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually I didn't bother with the zip ties at the time. But I did lower my spare tire to gain access. I don't recall any issues with the harness rubbing on the weights. If you haven't tried it, lowering the spare gives quite a bit more access.

GreyMatter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i did my own and it was straight forward...but it was only 2 plugs...maybe my RR is different

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did mine. It was a pain getting it connected where you are talking about. If I recall, I slide feet first under the vehicle on my back and then I could just barely wedge my hands to the correct spots. I do recall using zip ties that came in the kit as well.

By your description, you may be routing it in the wrong area/channel. I did not have any contact with the counter weights much less the exhaust.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ditto

I am having the exact same problem as the original poster. I have taken some pictures to help explain:

instructions.png

I believe I have threaded it through where the instructions are indicating. The wiring harness has clips and push screws where I have highlighted in green, but there is no way to even get my hand in there. Even if I could get my hand back there, I can only see a potential spot to attach the second (going left to right on the above diagram) clip in the green area.

Here are some actual pictures of what I have done:

photo-2.png

photo-1.png

Any advice? I don't see any other place that would make sense to thread it.

bscmich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exact same issue on my install about a month ago. Just sort of "formed" the wire harness to go up and back into the crevice hoping it would not move down and out and rub against the weight. After reading this thread I went out and took a look and sure enough it did come out a bit and when moving the weight full swing it was "nicking" the harness. Vurtually no wear or issue but definately want to figure out how to properly secure. Perhaps drilling two small holes and feeding a cable tie through?

jpljpl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you guys buy this kit from Atlantic British?

I'm thinking about picking up a small boat which I plan on towing, so I will need trailer wiring as well as the reciever hitch.

Do all LR3's come pre-wired for trailer wiring/brake controllers? I'm going to look tmw to see.

Here is the wiring harness I was planning on buying. The instructions look like they recomend removing a brake light.

http://www.roverparts.com/Instructions/YWJ500220ABP_TrailerWiringKit-LR3.cfm

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9