Failing Starter Motor on 2.5TD 1990

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T

twi99y

Hi, I've just replaced the starter on on my 2.5TD 90 because I thought it was faulty...it seems not. When I use the new one I have exactly the same problem as the old one. The problem seems to be that the teeth that engage with the flywheel are slipping on the flywheel. So when I turn the starter it sounds like a machine gun. The flywheel does not appear to have slipped moved dropped or whatever and when the engine is bump started it runs sweetly - there are no unusual or untoward noises.

Can anyone help me out with a diagnosis. I need help soon - I'm getting low on hand cleaner!!!

Thanks for anything you can offer............Ian

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like it might need a shim or two, but this is just a guess.

C

curr1

Sounds like me like you need to check that your battery terminals are clean and tight. Then work your way all the way through your connections to the starter and that your earth strap is in good order.

Had a similar problem with a series landy

D

discoinjapan

Is it starting without "bump starting" ? If not definately the battery. Your probobly just not getting enough juice to kick it over. If you do get a new battery I would go with a the Optima (yellow or red).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM