Fan Cowl ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
I changed my serpentine belt out about 8 weeks ago and I noticed that it is rubbing the fan cowl (see picture). Is this normal ?? Do I possibly have the fan belt on too tight? Maybe I need to release some tension? Could this be dangerous? Any thoughts? Thanks!! :help:
Melissa

Attachments

• Cnv0125.jpg
    Cnv0125.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 83

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Another pic of the problem:

Attachments

• Cnv0126.jpg
    Cnv0126.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 78

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Naah.. just get dremmel or heat knife and cut it to not touch belt - i had to do it when got Mean Green alternator - no issues.

Did you have alternator reinstalled recently? I cant think of reason for it to touch belt overwise.

PS: pink nails? niiiiice :)

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Thanks Serg. No I did not change the alt yet. I saw a mean green on DWeb but it is still kind of high in the price $$... I think I might just get the 100AMP and core out the old one. That was like 200.00 which is not too bad (with free s/h). Found it here:http://catalog.speedycarparts.com/?year=1998&make=RO. Its reman though.

The guy on DWeb wants about 350.00 for the Mean Green if I recall correctly.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
350 is way off.. You can get new one for about 349$.
Personally - i would steer away from remanufactured, but if you want to get low amp one- check your local "autoparts palace" place. When i was looking - they had brand new direct replacement alternator with something like 90-100A output for less then 200$.

J

JohnMc

RoverChic, there is a problem and cutting the cowl is a bandaide solution. I'd sand down the sharp edge of the cowl but strongly suggest you take a closer look. Since you've only changed the serp.belt and not any pulleys or components, I'd take a really good look at how the belt is seated. There is the possiblility that the cowl was installed incorrectly too. The belt and cowl should never touch and if so there is something seriously wrong. You don't want to have the belt break somewhere far from home.

D

discomike

Meliss,
Why are you buying a new alternator?????
You still can't prove you need one.
Is your croel the 2 piece type, if so make sure it is lined up properly, it shouldn't be rubbing.
And about your pink finger nail polish, I just don't know if that is the right shade for Rover wreching!!!
Mike J.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
PEOPLE ...Come on give me some credit here. I have been working on cars, rovers, just fixed the lawn mower, fixed the brush hog last week, for about 10 years now. The cowl is seated correctly.. :) :) :bootyshak
No Mike, the cowl is one piece. But from John's post it sounds like I am in emanate danger?? Oh well, its not like I have never been broken down before on the side of the road or at a truck stop (right Mike?). And I always carry an extra serpentine belt..Just in case. So then do I need to cut the cowl or just remove it all together?

Yes, the nail polish is pink.. I guess I could go with black?? No that would not be very RoverChic. :)

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RoverChic said:
Yes, the nail polish is pink.. I guess I could go with black?? No that would not be very RoverChic. :)

Lets not go gothic about it.. :) Pink is fine :) (hmm.. purple? how about purple? :))

Anyway - normally that molding thingy shouldnt really touch belt. Seeing how it was pushed onto belt (i assume white color is heat induced damage) - it would normally be either cowl sitting weirdly after something, or hood lining sagging and pushing it... If belt is ok (i doubt its sitting incorrectly.. or there will be lots of lovely noises, shakes & etc.. plus its very visual) - then i think you ok.. :)

Dont take cowl off btw. It helps cooling a lot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM